Still I Rise [Lewis Hamilton]

Still I Rise

Probably the most infamous words in modern Formula 1.

Lewis lived by the words; Still I Rise, but not many people knew why. In fact, no one outside of his family and close friends knew the reason behind those infamous words. He'd been asked countless times in interviews and on social media why he lived by it? Why it was so important to him? Why? Why? Why? But he avoided those questions like a plague. Those questions brought back painful memories.

Lewis would always remember the day he met you. It was 6th September 1997; the first day of secondary school. The two of you were in the same form class and thus shared the same classes together for the next 3 years until GCSE. This was only the beginning of your friendship, it only blossomed from there. You attended his karting weekends (the ones held in the UK as your family couldn't afford tickets to go to mainland Europe for his races); celebrated every win together and helped cheer him up after every loss in person or over the phone. It was you who introduced him to those infamous words. He can remember the day you told him those words for the first time like it was yesterday.

Lewis had just lost his 3rd race in a row and he was in a slump. You had attended that race with him and his father, Anthony. When he came off the track you wrapped your arms round him as he had once told you that your hugs could cheer up anyone. He was in a slump for days afterwards and on the Tuesday after his race, you'd had enough. You marched over to his house afterschool and told him to wise up and repeat after you; Still I Rise. And to repeat it until he believed it, and with that you left. It was the next day at school when he approached you.

"What does it mean?" He asked.

"What does what mean, Lewis?"

"Still I Rise."

"It's a metaphor. You have a crap day, but you get up the next day and you rise again, you better yourself. It's about overcoming your failures and difficult times," You took a breath and stared him in the eyes, "You need to have a positive mental attitude because you are a great driver ... a great person and I can't stand to see you like this." You put your arms on his shoulders and pulled him in for a hug which he returned.

"I'll be better." You nodded and squeezed him a bit tighter.

From then on it was as if a switch flipped inside of him. He was an overall positive person who never let anyone or anything get him down, and it made you smile when you could hear him muttering 'Still I Rise' to himself before each race.

Lewis would remember every memory that involved Y/N. She was his biggest supporter. His biggest fan. His everything. She was the one who told him that he'd make it to Formula 1. That he'd win his home race at the British Grand Prix. That he'd win a World Championship. But she never got to see that, any of them.

It was 2005. You had went to see the GP as your mum thought you might have had glandular fever due to the swollen glands in your neck, and so the doctor took a few tests and sent them off. A few days, she rang Lewis in tears which made him spring up from bed. "Y/N? What's wrong?"

"It's not good, Lew." She mumbled. Lewis' heart was ripped into pieces. How could the world punish someone as pure and good as Y/N? Acute Myeloid Leukaemia. Lewis frantically began it wipe his eyes – he had to be strong for Y/N, she was there for him when he struggled with racing, now it was his turn to be there for her. "I start treatment on Monday. The doctor said its best to start as soon as possible because it a very aggressive form of cancer." It was silent for a few minutes while it all sunk in. "I want to get pictures." Lewis' breath hitched as he tried to understand what she was saying.

"Wha?"

"If I'm going to loss my hair from chemo then I want some good pictures from before it all started."

"You'll look beautiful; hair or no hair."

"Still want pics though."

Lewis was there as you began your first round of chemo. Due to your general healthy wellbeing, you were able to receive an intensive induction chemotherapy which meant that you were able to go home between sessions. This relieved a lot of stress and anxiety from you, as you'd be surrounded by your friends and family. You received the 2 chemotherapy sessions that had been planned for you and all was well in the world again. Your life returned to normal; you were able to continue university – albeit from home due to your now weakened immune system but it seemed like the Leukaemia was controlled. Or at least you and the doctors thought it was.

It was a day Lewis relived only in his nightmares. What was meant to be a happy one turned out to be his worst. He had just been in talks with McLaren about the possibility of joining their F1 team for the 2007 season; a dream come true and he couldn't wait to tell Y/N, but then her mother phoned him. He nearly dropped his phone as his hand trembled in fear. You had vomited blood at home and so your parents brought you to the hospital. It wasn't good. Lewis drove like a mad man and just about parked his car before racing to the ward that Y/N mum had told him. 6N. He'd never forget that ward. It was dreary and sad, Y/N hated having to go in for check-ups as the place just screamed sickness and death – as horrible as it sounded.

Lewis stood outside her room. He had to psych himself up to gain the courage he needed in that moment in time. His heart broke at the sight before him. She was wheezing despite wearing an oxygen mask and the sweat was dripping off her forehead even though Lewis himself felt the chill. He sat beside her to grab her hand and gave it a squeeze.

"Hi," he said.

"Hi," she whispered, muffled by the oxygen mask, "I'm tired."

"No ... don't. Stay awake for me." He stroked his hand down her cheek and wiped the sweat from her forehead. "I had a meeting today" He said trying to keep her occupied, "I've got a seat with McLaren in Formual 1 next year!" It was a small white lie, but Lewis would do anything to see the ghost of a smile grace her lips.

"I think I want to sleep now." Lewis knew that this was it. He pressed a kiss to her forehead and stepped back, allowing her parents to say goodbye. Y/N knew it was time too. Tears began to stream down her face. She knew, in a way, that this was it. Lewis watched, tears brimming his eyes as he fought to hold them in, as her eyes closed – and stayed closed.

He had done it. It was his. He was the 2008 Formula 1 World Champion. All his hard work had finally paid off. Lewis had never disclosed to anyone why the words 'Still I Rise' meant so much to him but after every podium, every race, he said them to his team, to his fans, to the media. Still I Rise. Lewis knew what he was going to do with his Championship money. It had been in the making for the last 3 years. The Y/L/N Cancer Centre. A new, state-of-the-art centre for cancer treatments at the hospital where she was treated.

In the days after the Championship was announced, it was all over the press; 'Hamilton Donates Winnings to Build Cancer Centre'. It was all the media could talk about for weeks and he received emails upon emails from people and press alike asking for the story, but he would never be able to bring himself to tell the reason behind it and for now that'd have to do. He didn't do this for publicity, he did this to honour his best friend, his sister in all but blood, Y/N.

~~~

Cancer is something that is prevalent to every last one of us. 1 in 2 people will contract cancer within their life. It's something that had heavily affect me and my family; both my grannies died from cancer and my uncle has leukaemia. I hope you take the time to learn more about the subject and I'll leave a few links to informative sites and a site where you can donate money to fund research, if you so wish too, in the comments.

 I hope you take the time to learn more about the subject and I'll leave a few links to informative sites and a site where you can donate money to fund research, if you so wish too, in the comments