Precinct

Jughead's POV

I sat at my desk and sighed. I opened the bottom drawer of my desk and pulled out my beanie, putting it on. Nobody was there so I just sat in the quiet and alone. It was perfect for thinking. But, I know that wouldn't last very long. And it didn't. The doors opened and I sighed again.

"You okay?" I looked up at saw my girlfriend, Betty Cooper. She had the brightest smile on her face and I couldn't help but smile myself. I shrugged.

"Well, I just got back from listening to a whole bunch of grown men and women talk about their addictions," I told her. She just smiled and came over to kiss me. I kissed her back. "Where's Charles?"

"Oh, he'll be right back, he said. I just left to get some air since he was gone. I needed a little bit of a break." She said with a small laugh. I chuckled.

"Yeah, I can understand that," I said. The doors opened again. We both looked up to see Charles walking in. He looked at me.

"Did you get anywhere?" He asked. I nodded and sat up properly.

"Yes, I did. I'm now actually questioning why and how she's in this therapy group." I told them.

"Well, it's an alcohol and drug rehab therapy group. I mean, what else is there?" Betty asked.

"Nothing. She said she was a party girl. Mommy and daddy didn't like that very much apparently and had her get help from a group." I said. They exchanged confused looks.

"What? That doesn't make any sense. We've never seen her in any club or bar in the city." Charles said. I nodded.

"That's what I thought. And she hasn't. See, as I was leaving she stopped me. Invited me back to her apartment. Big, fancy-looking place. Definitely in her parents' names. She tried to get me to drink." I said.

"Did you?" Betty asked. I shook my head.

"No, but I did get a number from her," I said, pulling out the paper.

"Perfect. We're getting somewhere. You're putting that in the phone we gave you, right? When is your next therapy group meaning." He asked. I nodded and pulled that phone out.

"Thursday. Seven PM. Two hours." I told him. He nodded. I glanced at Betty who was just looking down.

"Okay, don't call or text her until after that date. If she tries to get you to come back to her apartment, let her." He said. I nodded once again.

"I still don't understand why Jug had to do it. I mean, I'm their same age and another woman. Don't you think she'd be able to trust another female better?" Betty asked. She's been on both me and Charles about this since we said I was the one going undercover.

"She may be able to trust another woman, but would her dad?" Charles asked. "That's why we used Jughead. Her dad would be able to trust a strong and loyal young man to be his hitman for a few months." She sighed.

"I guess that makes sense." She said quietly. I put my hand on hers. She looked at me.

"Don't worry. I'll be fine, Betty." I reassured her. She nodded.

"Okay, I've allowed you two to be together on the down-low since you both are working here," Charles said. We both looked at him.

"Charles, everybody knows we're together. It doesn't matter." Betty said. He sighed.

"That's not the point. I don't care how many people know you're together. I don't want your relationship getting in the way of any of our investigations." He said. We both nodded and I pulled my hand away from hers. "Go home. Both of you. You need to get some sleep. We won't be getting much after tonight. And make sure you don't make any detours with each other on your way to that bed." Betty and I looked at each other. "Oh, God! None of those looks here. Just get out of here." He said. We both stood up and left together.

I walked back into my and Betty's room after taking a quick shower. Betty was laying in bed. She had already taken a shower. She smiled at me. I smiled back at her and got in bed next to her. She looked at me. I sighed.

"You heard what he said. No detours." I said and chuckled. She laughed a little.

"When did he become our parent?" She asked. I looked at her and sighed.

"The moment we took this job now, and couldn't sleep anymore," I told her. She sighed a little.

"Yeah, you're right. But then again it took our time away from each other, Jug." She said. I sighed.

"I'm sorry, Betty. I'm tired and I'll need this for my strength for this." I told her. She nodded. I kissed her lightly and wrapped my arms around her. She closed her eyes and eventually fell asleep.

I was still awake after a couple of hours. I was just starring at the ceiling, in the dark and quiet. It's her. Veronica. I can't stop thinking about her. Even with my girlfriend in my arms. I guess I'm just thinking about what she could say or do next. She's just so young. She is my age and has been brought in on her parents' dirty business. How did that even happen?

Veronica's POV

I walked into daddy's office. He was sitting at his dad with a glass of rum in his hand. He looked up at me, waiting for me to say something. I smiled and sat across from him.

"Where's mom?" I asked him. He set his glass down.

"Your mother went out for a bit. Was there anybody in your little rehab group that you thought be good?" He asked.

"I have a couple. And if they don't work out. I know people who know people, daddy. I'll get us another paperboy, I promise." I told him.

"I hope you do. I trust you, Mija." He said. I just looked at him for a second.

"May I go now?" I asked him. He nodded. I stood up and walked back to the door. I stopped right outside his office. Jughead. There is something about that man that I cannot get out of my head. There is just something about him. I think I might choose him. I smiled and walked away from daddy's office.