Court - Part One

Jughead's POV

First day of court. I don't understand why I have to go, but then I was reminded that I was the one undercover. So I have to be there. I don't who we're doing today and I don't know when we'll. I know her parents will definitely be put away. I'm not sorry about that. I walked in and saw Charles and Betty and other people. I looked over and saw Veronica. She looked over at me. Her eyes were just sad and heartbroken. I looked away and I sighed. What did I do? All I want to do is go over and kiss her, to tell her how sorry I am and how dumb I am, and how much I love her, I hope she remembers I love her. I don't want her to forget that. Ever! I was brought out of my thoughts by somebody grabbing my hand. I looked down and then up a little, it was Betty. She was smiling at me. I looked to Veronica again. She had watched Betty grab my hand and looked away. I looked down.

"I'm not sure if you'll be going up for her parents, but I know for a fact you'll be going for Veronica," Charles whispered to me. I nodded.

"And when will that be?" I asked. He shrugged.

"It might get too late today, so it might be tomorrow," he said. I nodded again and went back to my thoughts. Or at least tried to.

"Jug," Betty said. I looked at her. "Are you okay?"

"No, not really, Betty," I told her. "I don't really want to be here at all."

"Well, you went undercover," she said.

"Betty, I don't need you telling me this here. Just leave me alone!" I said and pulled my hand away from hers. I looked up and saw her father. He was looking at me. Well, more like glaring at me. It was kind of intimidating. Then, we started.

I don't want to get into the boring details, because I didn't do anything and it was hours for just the two of them. And besides, we started late.

I drove back to the apartment, alone. I walked in a saw Jellybean sitting on the couch. The moment she saw me, she stood up.

"How was it? Do you have to do whatever it was today?" She asked. I shook my head and leaned over the kitchen counter.

"No, not today. I knew it might've only been with Veronica," I told her. "I already know what they're gonna be asking so what does it matter?"

"Well, you better take the letter with you tomorrow. Use it," she said.

"JB, that's not how it works. Charles didn't want to use it. So I can't do it," I told her.

"The only reason he said no is because Betty told him to. I saw them talking. And of course, it was Betty. That girl is wanting to you to herself. And no, I don't agree what you did was right, but Veronica is so much better than her. What you should do is go to your house and just end things with her." She said. I slowly looked at her.

"You think breakups are easy. JB, I'm having a hard time trying to figure out whether Veronica and I are together. Breaking up with Betty will put more stress on me." I told her. She scoffed.

"How?! Is it because she will constantly be on your back? Jughead, she already is. It may be a little worse, but I believe that Veronica will be proven innocent. If you bring that letter, whether Charles wants you to or, I don't care! Just being it. You and Veronica deserve to be happy together. Why are you letting everything get in the way of that? What are you scared of?" She asked. I sighed and stayed quiet for a second. "Jughead,"

"Its because I'm scared that if she's freed and proven innocent that she won't come back to me. That I lied to her for so long and I hurt her family. She'll hate me. She does hate me. Why would I even try?" I asked her.

"You remember what you told me to give her a few days ago?" She asked me. I nodded.

"Yeah, why?" I asked. She sighed.

"She took it willingly. She took it, Jug. She didn't question. She didn't say anything. You should've seen the smile on her face. She was happy. She loves you, Jughead. And I know you love her. Please don't give up now," she said. I sighed and nodded.

"Alright," I said.

"Okay," she muttered.

"Weren't you supposed to be back in Riverdale by now? What does dad think about you being gone so long?" I asked her.

"I just tell him that you're going through something. And when he asks what it is, I tell him you're really self-conscious about it and that not even Veronica knows," she says, with a smirk on her face.

"You're evil you know that?" I asked her. She nodded.

"I do, but it is funny. Dad thinks so too," she said. We both laughed. "Would you like me too with you tomorrow?" She asked, breaking the silence.

"Why would you want to go to that? It's boring," I told her. She shrugged.

"Just because," she said. I nodded.

"Fine. I'm not even gonna stop you," I said. She smiled.

"Good," she said. "Now, you better get to bed. You'll need it for tomorrow." I nodded and walked to my room. She's been staying here and on the couch for some reason. She tells me she doesn't want me to be alone. I don't know why. I'm fine.

I got around and just layed in bed for a while, staring up at the ceiling. I still can't get Veronica's face out of my head from that night. The night that they came barging in when I didn't even say the safe word. Her face. She was so heartbroken and. I couldn't even pull her close and tell her it's going to be okay. They took her and couldn't do anything about it. How could she ever forgive me? After many hours of endless thoughts, I finally fell asleep with Veronica's heartbroken and sadden, and pain-covered face in my head. It hurts just thinking about it.