Gunshots

Jughead's POV

I woke up again. This time I was alone. I got up and walked out of my room. Veronica was standing at the counter and she was on the phone. The call sounded pretty serious. She said things like, "no," "I'm not doing that," and, "I don't want to". I listened to them as much as I could until She turned and saw me. She froze for a second.

"I gotta go," she said and quickly hung up. She put her phone on the counter. "Hey, when did you get up?" She asked.

"Just now. Who were you on the phone with?" I asked her. She shook her head.

"Umm, nobody." She said. I could tell She was nervous. Is she nervous because of me or the call?

"Baby, what's the matter?" I asked, walking over to her.

Nothing, I promise. I have to get dressed. You should too. Then, we'll leave." She said and walked to her room. I sighed and walked to mine. What's going on with her?

When we left, I drove again. She was quite the whole time and just looked out of the window. The whole time to her parents I just kept wondering what was wrong and what was she thinking about. I didn't want to ask because I didn't want to push her or anything. I don't know what to do at this moment.

For the first half of the day, She didn't come with me. She was doing things with her mom. She didn't say anything, but I could by the look on her face that she wasn't happy I was going alone. I made the deliveries quick and easy. I didn't want to worry her even more than she already is.

Once it was about one, she was with me again. She sat in the passenger seat and kind of just kept quiet. I finally had enough after about an hour and said something.

"Okay, Veronica, I know something is wrong. You're quiet and you're just not being your normal self." I said. She looked at me. "What's wrong?" She sighed and looked out of the window. "Veronica, who called you this morning that made you so upset?"

"It was my ex, Nick. You know him, right?" She asked. I nodded.

"Yeah, from a few deliveries," I said.

"Yeah, he called. He knows were together and he does not like that. My phone went off which is why I woke up and it was him calling. I knew if I didn't answer it he would just call again." She said.

"Why do you block him?" I asked her.

"I have. He always gets a new number." She said. "Anyway, he asked if we could meet alone. I said no. I never want to be alone with him ever again. He started saying some things. I didn't think much about it until he said something about you." She said. I just nodded, waiting for her to go on. "He threatened to hurt you. He's another reason why I hate you delivering things alone. If I'm not there and you're delivering it to him, he'll try and kill you. He's called me many times and told me that."

"Wait, he called you more than once? Why didn't you tell me any of this before?" I asked her.

"Because I didn't want to worry you. I know if I told you, you would be more worried about me than yourself." She said. I nodded.

"Damn, right!" I said.

"See! I don't want anything to happen to you, Jug. You're the best thing to ever happen to me." She said. I smiled a little at that.

"What's the worst this guy could do?" I asked her.

"Let's just say, he doesn't give warnings. If he sees you again, he will immediately kill you on sight." She said. I can see the worry on her face and I can hear it in her voice.

"Ronnie, nothing is going to happen to me, I promise," I told her. I grabbed her hand and squeezed it a little. I noticed a small smile form on her face. I chuckled and we went on to deliver things.

When we got home that night, it was ten o'clock. I could tell Veronica was exhausted and I was too. She walked to her room and I walked to mine. I took my pants and shirt off and lay in bed. I kind of waited for Veronica because she usually comes here to sleep. I don't know why it's just something we've gotten used to doing. And like I thought She came in. I looked at her and smiled a little. She was only wearing her bra and underwear. She got in bed and cuddled up next to me. I just held her in my arms and we fell asleep.

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. The first thing I did was make sure it didn't wake up Veronica. It didn't. I slowly grabbed my phone. It was Hiram. I sighed knowing exactly why he's calling at one AM. I answered it.

"Hello?" I answered. And just like I thought, he wanted me to come and deliver something at one in the morning. I put my phone down and slowly started to get out of bed. It wasn't easy, Veronica was really holding onto me. But, once I got out of bed I started to get around. I slowly opened my bedroom door and then started walking to the apartment door. I had my hand on the doorknob when Veronica said my name.

"Jug, what are you doing?" I heard her ask. I sighed and turned back to look at her. "My dad called, didn't he? Why didn't you wake me up?"

"Because you were so tired I didn't want to bother you," I told her. She sighed.

"It's one in the morning. You shouldn't be delivering this late." She said. I sighed.

"Well, I still have to do it," I told her.

Then, I'm coming with." She said.

"No--"

"Yes, I am. Wait for me." She said, walking to her room. I did what said and I waited for her.

We went to her parents, took what we need to deliver, and left. When we got there I looked at her before getting out of the car.

"Stay in here. I'll be back in five minutes." I told her. She nodded and I got out of the car. I once again walked into an abandoned building. At first, I didn't see who it was, but when I saw them I immediately recognized them. "Oh, great," I said as saw the three men from before again.

"Give us the drugs," the guy said. He once again had a gun and had it pointed at me. I threw the bag over to them and started to walk off. "Hey! Where do you think you're going?" He asked.

"I'm leaving. You take your drugs. I know you won't give me my money." I said.

"No, you're staying here." He once again handed the bag back to one of the other men. "See that it's all there." I rolls my eyes and sighed.

"It's all there," the guy said

"See. It's all there. Can I go now?" I asked him. He looked back at the two other men.

"Yeah, you can go. I just want you to give Hiram Lodge a little message for me." He said, slowly walking closer to me.

"And what is this message?" I asked him. He stopped right in front of me.

"Never cross me again." He said. Before I could say anything, there was a loud noise. I looked down. He shot me. I saw the evil smile on his face. Then, he and his minions left. I fell to the ground and everything got blurry and I was dizzy. Until everything became black.