Soft

Jughead's POV

Once we got back, she immediately went and laid on the couch. I chuckled a little and she sighed, looking at me.

"What? I'm tired from walking all day." She said. I nodded and sat across from her. She smiled at me.

"Maybe we shouldn't have gone out half of the day," I told her. She rolled her eyes and sighed.

"Shut up! I didn't want to sit in here all day and do nothing, but be trapped with you." She said.

"You have been trapped with me anyways," I told her.

"Oh, shut up! That's not the point." She said.

"There was a point?" I asked sarcastically just to piss her off.

"I will kill you," she said. I chuckled.

"Do it!" I said. She sat up. "Okay, okay. I trust you will actually do it. Stay over there." She smiled.

"That's what I thought." She said. I chuckled, shaking my head. She got up and walked over to me. She sat next to me and laid her head on my shoulder. Just like always, whenever she gets near me I freeze. I'm undercover. I'm undercover. I'm undercover. I'm undercover. I say to myself. I'm with Betty. I'm with Betty. I'm with Betty. I'm with Betty. She sighed. "How do you deal with me?"

"What?" I asked, looking at her. She looked at me.

"You've been living with me for a few weeks. We've known each other for over a month. We almost kissed twice, and that's my fault. I'm constantly in your business. I brought you into my family's mess without even asking you. How are you really dealing with this?" She asked. I shrugged.

"I don't know." I have to. "I just kind of started going along with it." Because I have to. "Plus, it's kind of fun in a way." She laughed and rolled her eyes.

"How could it be fun? Working isn't fun. Especially when it's for my dad." She said. I shrugged.

"I don't know answer questions about something I said. So, don't ask me questions. I won't know." I told her. She smiled a little. Then her phone started ringing. She sighed and looked at it.

"I have to take this," she got up and walked to her room, shutting the door. I sighed and looked down. I don't know why, but every time she gets near me I get this weird feeling.

I decided since she was gone, that I could try and at least text Charles something. Like always, I looked at my phone and had missed calls and texts from Betty. She does realize I can't talk to her when I'm undercover, right? I really don't understand her. She is usually never like this. It just so happened that this time I do it, she's constantly on my back. I called him instead.

"Do you got anything new?" He asked kind of annoyed.

"Woah, what's wrong with you?" I asked quietly so Veronica wouldn't be able to hear.

"Betty is kind of what's wrong. But that's not why you called is it?"

"Well, no. I don't care about that. You can deal with her. So I didn't have to do a lot today, but she did say a few things to me."

"Like?"

"How in just a few months there's going to be something big happening. Her father has a lot planned for a while. And lots of things to do with other businesses to pull them off of their money or something like that."

"That's perfect. Keep me updated about what's happening within these next few months. We might just get them in the next year." He said.

"Yeah," I heard Veronica walk out of her room. "Got to go." I quickly hung up, looking back at her.

"Who were you on the phone with?" She asked. I shook my head.

"Nobody important. Just a... buddy." I told her. She smiled. "Who were you on the phone with?" She sighed and rolled her eyes. Oh, no.

"Some asshole ex of mine. Remember that guy the first time you had to bring somebody something. When I helped you?" She asked.

"Yeah?" I nodded.

"Yeah, him. He's been calling me and bothering me. We were friends forever and dated for a while. We broke up and stayed as semi friends, but he saw you and got jealous. Started calling at least twice a day about wanting to get back together." She said.

"Why don't you just block him?" I asked her. She sat back on the couch.

"Because our families do business together sometimes. He would also get hurt that I blocked him and go to my dad about how his daughter is "hurting his feelings" and that's he'll "tell his parents to stop doing business with you". He's a big baby. Trust me, it's happened before. He's such a mama's boy." She said.

"Oh, so just like you're a daddy's girl," I said, kind of being a smartass. She halted at me a little.

"Those are two different things. They're not related in any way." She asked. I laughed a little and sat next to her.

"And there she goes," I said. She looked at me.

"What?" She asked.

"Just a little bit of a lie," I said. She rolled her eyes and smiled, looking away from me.

"You're annoying you know that?" She asked. I nodded.

"Oh, I know," I said. Kick me out of here. I need to be able to get to the precinct in a way. She scoffed. We sat in silence for a moment. Until she looked at me and I looked at her.

"Can we talk about something?" She asked. Oh, this is suddenly serious. Why?

"Uhh, sure. What about?" I asked her. She sighed a little.

"We should talk about those almost-kisses and what they almost meant." She said. I sighed too. Once again, in this small moment, I was only thinking about Veronica. I'm undercover.

"Well, you said you needed to go," I told her. She sighed and nodded.

"I know, I just don't know why I did it. I mean, I know why I just..." she cut herself off and looked down.

"You just what, Veronica?" I asked her. She looked at me.

"I haven't known you very long, but... I-I... I can't do this." She quickly stood up. I stood up and grabbed her arm gently. She looked back at me, confused. "What are you doing, Jones?" She asked annoyed. I pulled her close, grabbing her face, not sure what I'm going to do next.