60. the Crystal Caves

"Now we shouldn't forget about our guest over here." Levi spoke as (y/n) and the others had finished eating. He stood up and walked over to the man tied to a tree trunk a few yards away. He had kept quiet the entire time, looking away. Levi stood before him. He had sideburns, rather long hair and a moustache. 

"I have a few things I'd like to ask you." Levi spoke calmly, though he looked very intimidating, standing over the man, only illuminated by moonlight. 

As was expected, the man let off nothing. 

.

.

.

"It really is a simple question. Where'd they take Eren and Historia?" Levi tried asking the man again, after having taken a few mild beatings from Levi. (y/n) was standing closely behind Levi.

"Screw you!" was all the man answered, sputtering a bit of blood as he did so. "You think you're so brave and strong... The men you knocked out down there were new recruits! They could barely wipe their own ass, let stand fight off a cowardly ambush..."

"Yeah, the guilt's tearing me apart." Levi spoke, and kicked him in the face. The way the moonlight caught his face made his eyes a steely, cold shade of grey. "But what really gets to me is that mouth of yours." He kicked him once more. "Tell us where they've been taken." he demanded again. The man coughed up some more blood. 

"You can't win... All you can do is try to hide while we capture every single one of you rotten scouts..." he muttered. "And every last one of you will get the noose, starting with your precious Commander Erwin! I bet he already took to the gallows this afternoon!"

(y/n) lept forward and kicked him in the gut. He wrenched over and clutched his stomach. 

"LIAR!" she shouted as she did so. She was shaking her head in disbelief. That wouldn't be true, right? They wouldn't just... Simply execute Erwin? Levi looked a lot more agitated than before as well. He put a hand on (y/n)'s shoulder. "Sorry..." she mumbled, apologizing for interfering his interrogation. 

"Don't be. But the trick is hurting him in a way that doesn't impair his speech." he explained to her, referring to how the man was now trying to catch his breath so much he couldn't speak. 

"Oh, right, that makes sense..." she mumbled. Am I casually getting a lesson in torturing? 

"Ready to tell us where they are yet?" Levi spoke. The man managed to mumble the word 'bastard'. Levi bent down and grabbed his arm, twisting it and him around so he faced the tree trunk, and pressed his arm behind him in such a way it cracked. Wha-, he broke his arm so effortlessly... (y/n) found herself wondering whether Levi could maybe teach her that. She was shocked to realize, as Levi so strongly held him against that tree, not a change in his expression, she so admired his ruthlessness and strength. Him being so powerful was simply a really attractive trait, in (y/n)'s eyes at least. The others admired his strength too, though they feared him more. 

"Do I need to do the other one?" he asked him. "Where are they?"

"N-, nobody told me I swear! Kenny Ackerman doesn't like to make his business known!" he finally shouted. 

"Ackerman..." Levi mumbled, looking confused.

"You-, you're insane..." the man whimpered in pain.

"...Maybe." Levi mumbled darkly. He was about to pry further about Kenny's last name, when Sasha interrupted him. 

"Sir, someone's coming! More than one!" She suddenly spoke in a panic, her bow and arrow at the ready. 

Luckily, it turned out to be Hanji and Moblit, and they had brought good news.