38. Barn

(y/n) woke up before Levi could wake her. The sun was barely peeking over the horizon. She looked to her side to see Levi, who was already up, and already busy with something. He was signing a bunch of forms, it seemed. He noticed her looking.

"I didn't mean to wake you yet." he muttered softly. (y/n) took that as 'sorry, did I wake you?'.

"No biggy. I slept alright, anyways. How'd you sleep?" she asked in a croaky voice, rubbing her eyes and sitting up. Her (h/c) hair was messy.

"I got about three hours." he muttered. (y/n)'s face looked almost appalled.

"Three hours? That's ridiculous? How come? Was something wrong?" she inquired hurriedly. Levi scoffed at her worry.

"Calm down. That's about what I usually get, so 'no biggy'." he quoted her. She looked confused, as well as still worried.

"Seriously? But, we've slept together like-," she counted in her head, "five times or something, and I've never noticed you being up the majority of the night..."

Huh.. five times only. (y/n) realized. Somehow it felt like so much more.

He put down the paperwork and moved some strands of messy hair out of her face.

"Don't worry about it." was all he said, which was obviously an in-achievable task for (y/n).

He didn't want to admit to her right then that he had actually slept much better every time he shared a bed with (y/n).

"Tch-, 'don't worry 'bout it'..." (y/n) mumbled as she got up. Levi shook his head, a smile almost edging at the corner of his lips.

"Anyway, since you're up now, I need you to fetch whatever there's left in the remaining supply boxes in the area. If we mean to make it back to civilization with all our injured we'll need medical equipment for on the way." he spoke as he stood up, his tone suddenly more business-like.

(y/n) blushed a little at his naturally authoritative tone, but tried to not let it show.

"Sure, cap." she agreed, and headed off, hoping Levi didn't notice her slightly flushed cheeks. He did.

(y/n) did as he told her to, and rounded up all the others while she was at it. She went to check on Erwin, but he had already been brought down and secured in a horse-pulled cart.

"Eren, you doin' okay?" (y/n) asked as she and the others were also getting ready to head down to the horses. His large eyes were accompanied by even larger eye-bags. He also wore a constant frown, but that was almost always the case with Eren.

"Well, not-, really.. (y/n), I don't know if you've heard, but yesterday Mr Hannes-"

"I know. I-,.. saw. I'm so sorry. I couldn't get ther-" (y/n) started, feeling almost as guilty as Eren did.

"(y/n), please don't.. You know no one blames you, and neither do I. I myself couldn't even help him, and I was right in front-"

"Eren." Mikasa spoke, like a reflex, "Don't do that to yourself. Neither of you." she tried to reason with them.

"Mikasa... You have to admit I-" Eren began to counter, his face starting to break, when Levi interrupted. He put a firm hand on Eren's shoulder.

"We're ready to head out. You kids are in the center rank with me. We're not taking any chances anymore. Mikasa, you'll have to stay in front, along with the other injured, so that no one falls behind." Levi spoke, and despite his words being orders, his tone and his hand on Eren's shoulder made it clear that he was offering a little support, along with his orders.