29. Annie

After a great effort, she was able to finally fall asleep. She had trouble wrapping her head around the fact that Annie was a cold-blooded killer.

The plan was as followed;

Jean would be impersonating Eren, so that Eren would be free to transform into a titan if necessary. Christa would be impersonating (y/n), simply because they were about the same height. Wigs and contact lenses were provided.

Armin, Mikasa, Eren and (y/n) would reach out to Annie, ask for help, supposedly.

Levi and Erwin would be in carriages, their fates not looking so good. They were the ones who pleaded for the two titan shifters to be trusted, and look where it got them. Half the scouting regiment, dead, in one expedition.

Armin, being the wizard with words that he was, had convinced Annie to help them. They followed her through the abandoned streets.

"I can't believe we've made it. Tss, 'Military Police', hard at work. I'm surprised they even bothered to show up." Eren spoke quietly.

"If I hadn't helped, what would have been your plan B to get over the wall?" Annie asked, looking behind precariously.

"We would have used our ODMGear to barge through the checkpoint directly.." Armin answered.

"That never would have worked." she muttered.

"Wait! There it is!" Armin spoke, as he saw the entrance to the Underground District.

All of them were preoccupied with the thought of Annie being an evil titan shifter, ready to slaughter them, but all (y/n) could think of in that moment was how she would see the place where Levi grew up. She was extremely curious as to how the Underground looked, and just how awful and corrupt it all was. The four of them had started to walk down the stairs, into the darkness. She was brought back to reality when she saw Annie's face, still up on the ground in the sun. She looked cornered.

"Underground? I-, I'm not going in there."

"What? Don't tell me you're afraid of the dark, Annie. Cut the crap and get in here." Eren spoke.

She refused. "I won't! I'm just a normal girl who's afraid of the dark, but I wouldn't expect you to understand..." She spoke, and everything about her tone was off.

"ANNIE DONT DO THIS! JUST COME DOWN HERE AND PROVE YOURE NOT A THREAT!" Eren pleaded. Looks like he still doesn't believe it. Poor Eren. Thought (y/n), who was now without a doubt sure that Annie was the one they were looking for.

"The way you're looking at me... It hurts. I'd almost say I think you don't trust me." Annie spoke, and her face had gone blank. They knew about her, and she knew that they knew. It was over. A showdown was bound to happen.

"I'm not listening to another word of this. There's no point." Spoke Mikasa harshly as she pulled her blades. "She's the titan shifter Eren, she's the one who killed all those men. Accept it."

After a short silence, Annie laughed, and it caused shivers to run down their spines.

"I'm glad I got to help you guys. But I'll be gambling too. And here's my wager!" She shouted as she brought her finger to her mouth. She was going to shift. Armin was quick to react, firing off the flare gun and marking the start of the ambush. Annie was swiftly subdued by the men that came running, but the ring she wore had a spike on it which she used to cut her finger. There was the usual loud crash and strike of lightning, which was enough to prove she had shifted. Mikasa and (y/n) had grabbed the boys and dragged them down into the underground.

"(y/n), Eren, go outside through the other entrance and change! Wait, even better, change here. We're not deep enough yet that it would inflict damage onto your titan bodies. Annie needs to be taken care of right now!" Armin commanded.