48. Ambush Avoided

(y/n) and Eren rushed up the stairs, and started placing all their belongings in their military backpacks. 

"Good thing the report made it back in time..." Eren mumbled as he stuffed his underwear in.

"Yeah. Really avoided a bloodbath, didn't it..." (y/n) muttered darkly. 

Soon they were hurrying down the stairs again, now with their filled bags on their backs. 

Levi and a few others were in the wooden hall already. (y/n) went to stand by Levi. There was a murmur of soft chatter going around. 

"Calm down, (y/n)," Levi said, almost humor showing on his face, which made (y/n)'s forehead furrow even more. "I suspect they won't be here till somewhere in the night. It wouldn't be much of an ambush at 9pm, if the people they were ambushing were all still awake." he explained plainly. Her mouth opened and closed without words coming out, her looking mildly appalled. She took a side step so she could face him without others being able to see or hear her.

"H-," she began, shaking her head mildly, looking up at him,  "how can you talk about a murderous ambush this casually?!"

He didn't answer, he just looked at her with condescending endearment. He simply reckoned she wasn't as used to people trying to murder her as perhaps he was. 

Seeing he wasn't going to answer, she sighed and shook it off, leaving his gaze.

"You'll be fine." he assured her. She turned back to him, looking a mixture of disgusted and offended.

"I don't care about me." she sneered. Her friends were the ones sleeping on the bottom floor. They'd have been the first to notice a bunch of people trying to break in and harm them, only because they were trying to get to (y/n), Eren and Historia. 

Levi suddenly frowned, and (y/n), not having expected his sudden glare, almost winced as she saw it. 

"You really ought to start caring about yourself a little, idiot brat." he growled lowly. She was important to humanity, and more pressingly, she was rather freaking important to Levi. She slouched a little at his cold remark, now looking up at him sadly rather than rebelliously. 

"I didn't mean it like that," she explained in a small voice. Naturally, she didn't want to die or get hurt, she expected Levi to understand that much. He sighed, the furrowing of his eyebrows lightening. 

"Don't give me that face. Just go and see what the hell Sasha's up to. She's the only one missing." he spoke, much more nicely. She shot him a shy but genuine smile, lifting whatever irritation still lingered off him. She sprinted to see where Sasha was. She found her in the kitchen, filling her bag with whatever food could fit, claiming that 'the ambushers would steal it and they don't deserve it!'. (y/n) dragged her to the hall by her hair. 

"All set!" (y/n) spoke as she entered with a struggling Sasha. Levi gave a short nod, and they headed out the door into the darkness. 

Following Erwin's instructions, Hanji's group split almost instantly from Levi's group. 

Levi in front, they left behind the barn that had shortly been their residence. 

They took an uphill path, hidden between rows of trees, dearly thankful for the cleared-up sky and the bright moon providing them with light. 

After walking rather silently for a while, Armin spoke up, seeming to have wanted to ask his question ever since the report came in.

"Sir, I have to ask... The report you showed us, well, it made clear what our objective is, but it didn't fully explain how Commander Erwin now expects us to go about it. How do we know how to make this happen?" Armin asked worriedly, talking to Levi from a few feet behind him. The rest awaited Levi's answer with him.