41. Our Inside Enemies

When Levi woke up, he instantly knew something was missing. (y/n) seemed to have managed to escape his grasp and leave the bed without him noticing. He sleep-drunkenly lifted the covers slightly, just to check if perhaps she had subconsciously hid under there as she had sometimes done before. He sighed when he saw she wasn't there either. He sat up, running his fingers through his messy hair to get it out of his face. It seemed to just be getting light outside. It also seemed to be misty that day.

Most people might have stayed put and enjoyed the warmth of the bed, but it was Levi's habit to get up as soon as he was awake. He did kind of look forward to sleeping in for once, but he now realized (y/n) was a requirement for him to want to do that.

He shook his head as he spotted his black shirt, crumpled and unfolded on the floor.

(y/n) was already downstairs, dressed and all, in the kitchen. The first thing she did was make tea, which she had already put out on the table. Since her father used to own a bakery, breakfast food was one of the easier things for her to prepare, though sadly, there wasn't much to work with. She had a bunch of pastries in the oven, hoping she'd have enough for everyone and Sasha. As she beat some eggs, she hummed and softly sang to herself, not wanting to wake anyone prematurely.

Hold me close and hold me fast

This magic spell you cast

This is la vie en rose

When you kiss me heaven sighs

And though I close my eyes

I see la vie en rose.

When you press me to your heart

I'm in a world apart

A world where roses bloom

And when you speak, angels sing from above

Everyday words seem to turn into love songs

Give your heart and soul to me

And life will always be la vie en rose.

She was subconsciously in a great mood due to the previous evening she had spent with Levi. It almost felt like they didn't have to hide anything, like their relationship was something safe and normal rather than a threat. Nevertheless she kept singing.

Jean had woken up to go to the toilet, when he heard her sing. He'd heard her a few times before, since they'd spent three years training together and there was that time she sang with the guitar, and ever since he'd heard her singing voice for the first time, he hoped every day he'd hear it again. He snuck out of his bedroom in his pajamas, not wanting to miss this opportunity.

He was leaning against the wall next to the door opening of the kitchen. He had his arms crossed, as he listened with his eyes closed, an unmistakable blush on his face. He secretly pretended that the lyrics of her song were meant for him, though the cynical, realistic part of him mocked him for thinking it.

Levi exited his room on the top floor, and spotted Jean from above as he headed for the stairs. He involuntarily tch'ed as he realized (y/n) was singing and he was listening to her, with that damned blush on his face.

Levi's cynical, realistic part, told him it was unreasonable to think that (y/n)'s singing voice was only allowed to be admired by himself, and himself only. The clicking of Levi's tongue brought Jean out of his trance.

"S-, sir," he began, but Levi decided to cut him off before he could come up with some lame cover.

"If you're already up, get dressed." Levi ordered, refraining from adding 'this isn't a pajama party.' to his command.