40; captain ;40

(If this were a WEBTOON, this would be the start of season two :P )

"Doppy, come on!" I called, smiling down at the grassy floor of Waterfall. I had my jeans rolled up, ankles dipped into the ethereal, glowing blue water of a river. Doppy had been swimming and jumping around, quite enjoying the area's landscape. We both definitely preferred Waterfall over Snowdin and Hotland, with its serene and secluded areas. There wasn't much danger, which I appreciated.

I had a bias toward this area- it truly was something fantastical. The dark blue grass and glowing cyan rivers. Closer to Snowdin and Hotland, as well as in more populated areas, the waters got murky and dim. However, in secluded areas like these, it almost blinded you. It had an odd smell, too. One that I couldn't describe. It was... wet, if that makes sense. Like when you breathe around rivers or ponds. But it also had a sweet smell that coasted alongside the almost suffocating outdoors scent, one that mellowed everything. I think it's the glowing blue flowers and small bioluminescent orbs that floated aimlessly in the air, though I couldn't tell you what it was for sure.

He leapt out of the water, landing on the grass beside me. I began to dry my feet off with the ends of my sleeves before putting on my socks and shoes.

"We gotta go back, Papyrus is expecting us home."

He croaked, whining. I sighed, smiling as I put my hands on my hips.

"Oh, come on. You like the puzzles!"

He croaked again. I started to put on my shoes.

"Fair enough," I chuckled, "But I don't want to leave you alone. Would you rather stay at the house?"

He croaked once more, offended.

"Oh, of course, I totally forgot," I said sarcastically, petting him. "I need my little bodyguard."

He huffed, obviously not liking the response he got but not wanting to continue the irritating conversation anymore. I smiled, and he hopped up onto my head. Standing up, I turned to the side.

I went to reach for my guitar case out of habit, forgetting that I had left it behind.

"You're very wet," I grumbled, water soaking into and dripping off of my hair. He croaked, sticking his tongue out. I stuck mine right back. "Rude."

We started walking back to Snowdin, the sound of my boots grinding into grass slowly fading into crunching snow. I will say, that is one thing I prefer about Snowdin. You can walk without your thoughts being drowned out by flowing water, but it isn't eerily silent like it typically is when it snows. The monotonous sound of your footsteps will always drown out creeping thoughts if you focus on them.

The past two and a half weeks have been shockingly smooth-sailing. I alternated between staying at the house and the Inn, since Callie and Kara (the Inn owner, whose name I had learned) insisted on taking care of me. Their daughters were sweet and enjoyed hanging around Doppy, so it was nice for the both of us. I was fully recovered after only a week, oddly. The bunnies said it was because of both my soul attribute and the minimal healing properties of the treatment I had been getting. I didn't really understand it, but it was nice to be up and about. Sitting on that couch all day was starting to weigh on me.

Still, I stayed at the house the majority of the time. Only these past few days had I been taking Doppy to Waterfall. Papyrus had been around more than usual lately, so we helped him recalibrate puzzles and keep sentry stations clean. After seeing Waterfall when venturing to the station there, Doppy seemed to like it just as much as I did. Papyrus, on the other hand, despised Waterfall. He said his boss lived there.