20: battle the boss :20

I stalked to the edge of the town, the crunching of snow under my feet the only sound that echoed through the town. I made my way to the edge, far past any homes or buildings. The fog grew thick, and I squinted to see a few feet in front of me. When I finally saw Papyrus's figure through he thick veil in front of me, I nearly bumped into him. His figure was dark in the fog, but all I could see was the glinting red of his pinpricks.

"HUMAN," He spoke, looking down at me. "WELCOME. IT SEEMED YOU MADE SURE TO BE WELL PREPARED FOR OUR BATTLE."

I looked awkwardly to the side. Sure, that's what I was doing...

"WELL, I SHOULD ADMIT. I WAS IMPRESSED BY YOUR PUZZLE-SOLVING SKILLS. AND YOU SOMEHOW MANAGED TO AVOID ALL OF MY HIDDEN DEATH TRAPS..!"

Hidden death traps? Those were a thing?

"YOU HAVE PROVED YOURSELF WORTHY OF A TRUE BATTLE WITH ME, THE GREAT AND TERRIBLE PAPYRUS, LIEUTENANT AND SECOND IN COMMAND OF THE ROYAL GUARD!" He swiped his hand through the air, the fog between us disappearing, but still in the surrounding area. "PREPARE YOURSELF, HUMAN! FOR YOUR DOOM IS NEAR!"

My soul phased out of my chest, and large, glowing red bone appeared in his hand. It was just as tall as he was, and it appeared as though it were a weapon, poised for battle. I looked up at Doppy, who rested atop my head.

"C-can you hold on for a moment?" I squeaked, and he looked down at me, grumbling. When he didn't attack, I took it as a yes. I scurried to a nearby tree, setting the Froggit under it. I rushed back in front of him, nodding. "Thank you."

"LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!"

Huge bones appeared, white and gleaming. They shot at me, zooming through the air at me. I swung and jumped out of the way. I didn't get hit at all, darting away from and dodging the attacks with relative ease. Dare I say, I was getting good at this.

<[Act]>

"Papyrus, do we have to fight?" I called out, talking to him. I skid out of the way of another attack, nearly slipping and falling into the snow. Luckily, I caught myself. I'm not getting soaked again- no way. That was friggin miserable.

"YOU DO NOT HAVE TO," He shrugged, "BUT I AM GOING TO FIGHT YOU UNTIL YOU ARE CAPTURABLE!"

I frowned, looking up at him. "Papyrus, please. Can't we just work this out? I want be your friend..!"

"FRIEND..?" He hesitated, then shook his head and huffed indignantly. "NO! I HAVE NO NEED FOR FRIENDS! I WILL BE FEARED AND RESPECTED AS THE HEAD OF THE ROYAL GUARD! FRIENDS ARE NO PART OF THE EQUATION!" He pointed the edge of his bone weapon at me, eyes narrowing. "STOP THIS USELESS BANTER! GET PREPARED FOR MY FABLED BLUE ATTACK!"

"Blue attack?" I asked, watching as giant bones, glowing blue instead of red. They reminded me of the blue spear that dog had thrown at me. It didn't hurt when it touched me, frozen.

They threw themselves at me from all directions, no way to get out of the way to dodge them. There was now way to move or dodge them. I felt panic set in as I whirled around, staring at the bones as they closed it, rushing at me. The first one didn't hurt me, even when it touched me. Why was that different than Toriel's fire? Or the other spears of the dog, the attacks of monsters in the Ruins?

I stayed still. I didn't hurt when I didn't dodge or when it touched me. But it was blue.

I crouched down, hugging myself so I covered my soul on all sides. This was experimental, and if all of these things hit and hurt me... well, I was probably dead. I squinted my eyes shut, tensing up and staying frozen. I watched as the open area around my soul glowed blue, the bones phasing through my body and soul without so much as a tingle. They disappeared and I gave it a second before exhaling, standing up again and looking around. The blue bones had disappeared and white ones had shown up, and I just barely stumbled out of the way of the first one, gaining my bearings as quickly as I could as I fumbled and skid out of the way of the attacks.