14: dogs and puzzles :14

"Did something just move?!"

I was frozen in place, eyeing the dog out of the corner of my eye. His eyes were shifting back and forth, never landing definitively. He continued to do so for a few moments, before he spoke again.

"Is it just imagination..?" He questioned out loud, pulling a knife out of my pocket. I sat there, staring at him as still as I could. Please let him be as nice as that bird monster... "Well, if something did move... I'll make sure it never moves again."

His knife began to glow a bright red, and my bright green soul phased out of my chest. I watched as he dove, swiping his knife. He slashed it directly behind me, and I could feel the air swishing behind me.

He growled from behind me, slashing again and moving forward.

It's just... like an aggressive dog, right? Like dogs are when strangers first meet them?

I stayed frozen in place, though, paralyzed at the thought of that bright red knife coming closer to me than it was the first time he attempted to attack me.

"Show yourself!" The dog shouted, and it looked all around it, before growling in frustration. "Fuckin' move!"

I had always been good with dogs, up on the surface, but obviously this was a unique situation. This was a dog, though. Dogs usually calm down after they get comfortable with you, right?

This dog was yapping and stomping the ground, slashing the knife around as it huffed and growled. It grumbled and groaned about me not moving, and how it was annoyed at its apparent blindness to stillness.

Okay, but what if I just... pet it?

"Move, you little shit! I know you're here, I saw you!"

I glanced to my side, and it was facing away from me. I moved as quietly as I could, turning around. I watched the dog carefully, taking a single step forward. As my foot hit the ground, Doppy hissed at my atop my head. I flinched as the dog turned around, baring its teeth in a frightening smile.

"There you are..."

It sprinted to my side, stabbing right next to me. My bottom lip quivered, staring at the threatening dog next to me. If I can just scratch it behind the ear... dogs usually enjoy getting pet or massaged behind the ear- it releases serotonin, I think.

Psychology worked on Toriel but I'm just guessing with this dog dude...

He growled out in frustration, slashing several times in the same direction, "Where are you?!"

"Just go for it..." I whispered to myself, hardly louder than mouthing the word.

I turned again, taking a quick step and reaching up to massage behind its ear. It froze in place as my hand rubbed behind its ear. It clutched its knife tighter, and I realized how terribly stupid I was for thinking this might work.

Suddenly the knife fell to the floor, and it turned around, eyes wide as its tail started to wag.

"Wot?! Something pet me?!" It yapped, beginning to say varying versions of the word 'pet,' simply changing the vowel in the center. Pet, pot, pit, pat, put, etc.

I laughed at the sudden change in its demeanor, much more confident in my dog-understanding abilities. My soul phased back into my chest. I continued to pet the dog, ruffling it on the cheeks with both of my hands. It was staring up at me in ecstasy.

"Awww, you're just a cute little doggo," I smiled, giving it one last massage over it's right ear. It rubbed into my hand, sniffing me happily as it did so.