34; subtle moments ;34

Next time... let me take control and I'll make sure you don't end up like this.

Pain covered my entire being. I kept my eyes closed, hoping maybe if I went back to sleep it would go away. I was floating, empty as I stared at the black that covered the back of my eyelids. I was confused- why was I in so much pain? It took a moment for my memories to creep back in, taking me out of the blissful, just-woken-up feeling.

Undyne.

My eyes snapped open and my body shot up. I scrambled back, falling off of whatever I had been laying on until I was pressed against a wall. I panicked, eyes darting all around me while water built up within them.

"Holy fuck!" A deep voice resonated, and I looked toward where it originated. Sans was sitting on the couch, where it seemed I had previously been laying down. It took me a moment to realize I was in the skeleton brothers' home. I stared at him, the panic in my eyes beginning to subside.

"jesus, doll," he grumbled, yawning before looking over at me. "it's always something with you, huh?"

"Wait, but..." I looked around, confused. "How did I.. how did I get here? I-I was in Waterfall, and Undyne..." I trailed off, shuttering upon saying her name.

I started to shake, clutching either side of my head. How am I here? Is this a dream? She was chasing me for so long... can I really be safe?

There's no way... I don't have luck like that. And even if I did, Sans wouldn't be nice to me. He'd be bitching and grumbling about how I can't take care of myself. How I'm injured all over...

God, it hurts. And what if she comes back? She found me here the first time, what will stop her form coming again? I'm in bad shape- I couldn't get away. Sans can't fight someone like her, and Papyrus is hardly ever around. I wouldn't be able to get out of it. I'd be even more helpless than I was the first time...

"hey," I looked up, not realizing I was staring at the floor. Sans clicked his tongue, reaching forward and wiping my face. I hadn't even realized I was crying.

"I-I'm sorry, I don't mean to-" I started, looking away from him and wiping at my cheeks with my sleeves. Wait, sleeves?

"anyone ever tell you that ya do this thing when you freak out?"

I blinked at the odd question, looking toward him and furrowing my eyebrows. He scoffed, shaking his head. I could see him smiling- it seemed almost genuine. He tried to hide it, looking down at the floor.

"you pull your knees up to your chest," he chuckled, and I looked down at my legs, which were pulled up. "and ya pull at your hair."

It seemed almost degrading. I shrunk down.

"you stare at the floor and your eyes get really wide. you start shakin' and shit. it's real annoying," I looked away from him. I didn't like it. I couldn't control it. "but then, whenever I manage to get your attention again..."

I looked at him out of the corner of my eye.

"ya look up at me," he snorted, plopping down and sitting lazily in front of me. "and your hair is a fuckin' mess. but you pull your hands down and put 'em at your chest, and let your legs pull away a bit. you always stop cryin' too."

He laughed, making his hand into a fist and hitting me lightly on the head. I flinched, and he definitely noticed, but didn't say anything. He grinned at me, ruffling my hair. "I'd say it was cute if you didn't look like trash."

My eyes widened, face blooming crimson, which trailed from my nose up to the tips of my ears. I looked away from him, covering the bottom of my face with my hand. I could play it off like it was from the crying... probably.