5: a real fight :5

We breezed through most of the puzzles and 'battles' following our meeting with Doppy. There was a bowl of random candy that said 'take one'. Flowey was worried it might be poisoned, so he insisted on checking it before we took any. When he begrudgingly let us take some, I took three. One for Doppy, one for me, and one for Flowey, who didn't really want to, but ended up eating it anyway. They tasted good, mine was chocolate.

There were a few puzzles that we had to get by, and I fell down a story or two a couple of times trying to get past them. This place seemed to have a thing for false floors. I'm lucky Flowey was there to catch me every time- I probably would've broken something otherwise. Doppy made sure there weren't any other Froggits that messed with us, and there were even a couple that tagged along for a little bit, talking happily with Doppy, who remained adorably on my head.

We ran into other monsters, though. Moldsmals, Vegetoids, and Whimsums mostly. I didn't fight any of them, thank god. Although, I don't think Flowey was very happy about it. The Vegetoids really wanted me to eat vegetables and be healthy, so for every one of them I ate a whole carrot and that seemed to do the trick. Moldsmals liked when I hummed tunes for them to jiggle to, although sometimes they got a bit promiscuous. The Whimsums pretty much just ran away at the sight of me, which is unfortunate. They're really cute. Though, whenever I hummed to the Moldsmals (who smelled strangely like lime jello), they always poked their heads out in interest.

"The cheese is stuck to the table..." I said quietly, pulling it upward, only to lift the old, wooden table along with the large slice of cheese.

"Why do I care? Come on!" Flowey pressed, "We need to hurry."

"Okay, okay, I'm coming," I said, hurrying behind him. However, when I came into the next room, Flowey seemed to be paralyzed.

There was a small passageway, a large pile of white dust strewn between the two walls that made it. He was staring at the ghost-like figure in top of it.

"Flowey... what's wrong..?" I asked quietly.

"I-I think maybe we should wait until the ghost leaves..." he whispered.

"Why? Maybe it's friendly," I said.

"N-no... (y/n), that's monster dust."

Doppy shrunk back on top of my head at the phrase, causing my face to contort into confusion. "Monster dust?"

"When a monster dies... it turns to white dust. That ghost... who knows how many it's killed..."

It took me a moment before I realized the implications of the statement. I gasped, covering my mouth in shock. "Wait, is the dust everywhere... that's..."

"Monster corpses." Flowey finished for me.

"Oh, my god," I said, blinking to try to stop tears from coming. "But who could be that cruel..?"

"The woman we're running from, Toriel," Flowey said, "And she has a taste for humans... a literal one."

"I think I'm gonna be sick," I mumbled, stumbling back, staring, wide-eyed at the ghost.

So this lady we're running from, she really is dangerous. I didn't realize he was being serious when he talked about this faceless, nameless lady. But she, Toriel, has killed who knows how many monsters. It made me sick to my stomach to think about the possibilities.

Doppy croaked from on top of me, steadying my as I stumbled backward.

"What? No, no way," Flowey responded, looking at him. Doppy croaked twice in response.