9: operation escape plan :9

I let out a quiet groan, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. I looked around my room, which was still dark. Doppy was asleep, cuddled up next to me. I gently stroked him down the back, and he snuggled into my palm.

I glanced around, looking for Flowey. I eventually found him, his bright yellow petals standing out in the center of the room. He was staring at the floor, not moving. I gently picked up Doppy, transferring him to the other side of the bed. I slid out from under the covers, a chill going up my spine at the sudden change of temperature.

I hopped out of the bed, tip-toeing over to him. I crouched down, whispering, "Flowey."

He jumped, falling backward. He panted, his eyes darting around the room until they finally rested on me. He looked me up and down. He seemed... afraid.

"Are you okay?" I asked, eyebrows furrowing. "Did something happen?"

His eyes involuntarily darted behind him at the wall that connected to the next door room. It took him a moment to calm his breathing and get back up. He shook his head violently, then looked back up at me. "Toriel came in here a little while ago, that's all. It just freaked me out, is all."

He's lying. "Oh, okay. Well, I'll take over from here, okay?"

"What?"

"We were gonna trade off watching, remember?" I asked him, but he looked extremely apprehensive. "You look tired. You should definitely get some sleep. I'm gonna spend some time thinking of ways to get out of here, anyway, so it'll be put to good use."

"Are you sure you're okay on your own?" he mumbled. He looked exhausted, even I could tell. It seemed like there was something else bothering him.

"Don't worry about me," I smiled reassuringly.

It took him a moment, but he nodded. He popped underground them reappeared next to the bed, lying his head down on a discarded sweater that I had decided was too small. He closed his eyes and nestled in. I stood up, but before I could go to the door, he spoke tiredly.

"Hey, (y/n), can you make me a promise?"

"Yeah."

"Never lose sight of your kindness."

It was an odd question, but I thought nothing of it. I smiled, "Of course, I promise, Flowey. Now go to sleep, okay."

"Mmkay..."

He was out like a light pretty quick, so I walked over to the door. I noticed that on the desk near the doorway, there was a plate with a slice of pie on it. It looked like a pumpkin pie. I stared at it questioningly- it actually looked pretty good.

I scooped up a bit of the filling with my finger, licking it. My features contorted in distaste. This must have been Toriel's butterscotch cinnamon pie. I nearly retched. It was severely burnt, and there was way too much cinnamon. My eyes were watering as I resisted the instinctual urge to spit it out and cough. The butterscotch seemed to be derived from melted candies, as they weren't completely melted down. It was overwhelming in its cinnamon contents, and I had gotten a huge chunk of the butterscotch. It was all around disgusting.

I swallowed, not wanting to leave any evidence of my dislike of it. I stuck my tongue out and gagged quietly, shaking my head in a feeble attempt to get rid of the taste. It didn't get much better, but at least it wasn't as strong as before.

I looked back at Doppy and Flowey, who were sleeping peacefully. I nodded my head, determined. Operation Escape Plan is a go.

I opened the door of my room, peeking out into the hallway. It was dark. I crept out of the room, hopping onto he carpet that ran down the hallway and into the living room. I didn't want to risk any creaky boards.