12: first for everything :12

"Oh, my god, it's freezing."

I shuddered as I walked down the pathway. The door at the end of the hallway had lead to a snowy forest, where snow was still falling and a pathway was lined with trees. At first it was nice with how sweaty I was, but it became far too cold for me in a matter of moments. I threw on the sweater I had fallen in, slipping it under the one I had gotten from Toriel, and Doppy sat within my bra and under my sweatshirts. We were both shivering anyway.

I hugged myself, hugging the small frog in the process. With every breath I let out, a pouf of smoke materialized in front of my mouth, dissipating as quickly as it appeared.

"Doppy, I'm starting to think maybe I should have stayed with Toriel..." He croaked in agreement with me.

Across the path, there was a huge branch that seemed to have fallen from the trees above. I kicked it lightly and it didn't even budge, and tried stepping on it as well. It didn't so much as move from its place in the snow.

I shuddered, the chill of the atmosphere ran up my spine. I'm lucky my guitar and its case were absorbing most of the cold for my back, so that was where most of my body heat was. I'm assuming the same was true for Doppy, as he was pressed up against me.

I continued to walk forward, shaking at the cold. Before I could get too far, I stopped dead in my tracks. A loud crash echoed out within the woods, repeating itself a few times before stopping. I looked down at the frog in my shirt.

"You heard that too, right?" I whispered, and he nodded wordlessly.

I slowly turned around, eyes widening as I took a step back in fear. The branch that I had pressed all of my weight onto and kicked relatively hard, without it moving at all, was shattered. Like it was nothing. But I hadn't heard anyone behind me, and there were no tracks in the snow other than mine. So what broke it?

"I, uhm..." I turned around and started walking much quicker, mumbling to myself as I did so. "I'm gonna walk faster."

I continued to walk faster, feeling like there were eyes glaring at me from within the woods. I panted from the exertion and frost in my lungs, not realizing I had moved into a pretty quick jog. I stopped at the edge of what looked to be a pit. There were bars across it, much to far apart to stop anything, but where you would think there would be a bridge, it was simply empty space.

I froze, clutching my biceps upon hearing the crunching of snow behind me. I was paralyzed, trembling uncontrollably with fear. Eventually, the tracks stopped, and I could practically feel the body heat radiating off of the figure behind me.

I whimpered, lowering my head and shutting my eyes as tight as I could, feeling the tears starting to well up. I clenched my arms so hard, I could feel my nails digging into my skin through the both of my sweatshirts.

Go away. Go away. Go away.

"H u m a n."

The voice was deep, obviously a male's. It was smooth and buttery, only a slight underlying gravel to it. It was commanding and almost threatening, and the vibrations of his voice echoed up my spine and into my eardrumes.

Please, just go away, please.

"D o n ' t y o u k n o w h o w t o g r e e t a n e w p a l ?"

I felt the tears leak from beneath my eyelids, running down my cheeks and dripping from my chin. I sniffled quietly, holding Doppy closer to me. He placed his paw gently atop my arm, trying to comfort me, but I could tell he was shaking too. Or maybe that was my shaking I was feeling through him.