24; study 'date' ;24

"HMM... WHAT ARE THESE STRANGE DEVICES?"

"they're phones."

"QUITE ANCIENT IN TERMS OF TECHNOLOGY... HOW DO THEY EVEN FUNCTION?"

"one's a flip-phone and the other's just an old model."

"IS THERE A WAY TO TURN IT ON? IT DOES NOT HAVE AN OBVIOUS BUTTON..."

"I think it's on the side there."

"THERE ARE TWO."

"uhhh, yeah, on the other side, boss."

"I'M NOT AS IDIOTIC AS YOU ARE, SANS, I RECOGNIZE THERE ARE TWO SIDES."

"sorry, boss."

My eyes flickered open, and I blinked slowly. I moaned quietly, shifting and extending my leg, issuing a small pop from my knee. I slowly sat straight up, looking around me tiredly. I had fallen asleep with my side against the back pillows of the couch, my head leaning on the curve that lead to the top. My legs were bent, resting together on the edge of the couch beside my hips, my arms hanging loosely between my knees and the back cushions.

I looked in front of me. Sans was leaning against the wall next to the couch, looking at Papyrus, who was bent over, holding a phone in his two fingers, prodding around with his index with the other hand. I saw Sans eyeing me from the side, his bright red eye flickering up and down my figure, but he looked away as soon as our gazes met.

"CURIOUS... THERE'S ANOTHER HUMAN."

"Hm?" I asked, still not fully aware of my surroundings. Sans looked at the phone, then snorted, chortling to himself at the image.

"AH, YOU ARE AWAKE! I MUST INQUIRE," He shoved my phone in my face, and the background was occupying the majority of my view. My face burned red in embarrassment, "WHAT IS THIS BIZARRE IMAGE?"

I looked off to the side, my hair slipping to cover my face. "I-it's just a friend of mine..."

"YES BUT THE FACE OF THE OTHER HUMAN IS QUITE BLURRED, AS IS THE ENTIRETY OF THE IMAGE," He pulled the phone away from me and narrowed his eyes, staring at the picture with a very contemplative stare. It was like he was trying to find the meaning in this stupid picture. "AND IT SEEMS THAT YOU HAVE SOME SORT OF... CONE ON YOUR FOREHEAD."

"Yeah, it's just a stupid picture," I mumbled, "Don't read too far into it..."

"HM, YES, I SUPPOSE I HAVE NO TIME TO INTEREST MYSELF IN SUCH SUPERFLUOUS ACTIVITIES," Papyrus shrugged, tossing the phone toward the couch, turning away as he spoke. "ANYWAY, HUMAN, I WILL BE OUT DOING THE WORK OF A ROYAL GUARDSMAN FOR THE MAJORITY OF TODAY. I WILL HAVE SANS BEGIN YOUR STUDIES- AS I HAVE FAR TOO MUCH WORK TO DO."

Sans didn't say anything, but he glowered up at his brother's back. I chuckled awkwardly. "Oh... it's okay. We can start some other time- I'm in no rush to learn."

"YES, BUT IT IS BEYOND IRRITATING TO HAVE SOMEONE SORELY UNEDUCATED AROUND ME. IT IS HORRIFIC TO HAVE TO SEE YOU STRUGGLE TO READ AND SOLVE ELEMENTARY READING PUZZLES."

Ouch.

"ANYWAY, I MUST BE OFF. I HAVE BEEN DISTRACTED FOR FAR TOO LONG," He turned, glaring back at Sans. "DO NOT TRY ANYTHING WITH THE HUMAN, BROTHER."

"wouldn't dream of it, boss."

"I WILL BE OFF, THEN. DON'T LEAVE THE HOUSE UNTIL YOU HAVE FINISHED THE BEGINNING OF THE PROGRAM I HAVE OUTLINED." And without another word, he left, slamming the door behind him.

I sighed, grabbing my phone, the screen automatically flickering on. I stared down at the image remorsefully, dragging a finger along the side of the screen, where he was. I tucked it into my back pocket, looking over at Sans.