10: the question :10

"My child!" Toriel walked into the room, and a look of surprise came across her face. I had my leggings on with the shorts on top. The sweater from her closet was covering my torso, and my original one was over it, tied around my waist. Flowey was completely healed of all injuries, and I had to really talk him into letting me heal them, too. Doppy was freshly bathed and polished, looking happy with his new, shiny skin. I had secured my guitar case around my back, and was petting him happily. "Oh my, you're up bright and early!"

"Mhm," I nodded happily. "I wanted to make sure I woke up early enough to make breakfast with you."

"You did?" she asked, a warm smile making its way to her features as he put her hands over her heart. "How sweet of you!"

I smiled broadly, earning a glare from Flowey. He had been telling me all morning that this wasn't going to work. I knew it was, though. It had to.

"Well, if you want to help, I'm about to start making pancakes," Toriel said happily. "Come, my child, we should begin right away!"

She outstretched her hand toward me, and I took it happily. I looked behind me as she pulled me along, glaring at Flowey and Doppy. I mouthed 'stay here' very pointedly just before I was pulled around the corner.

Toriel seemed very happy to have me in the kitchen with her, constantly smiling and humming as she pulled things out. I asked her about random things as I helped her cook. I mainly did this so there wouldn't be a repeat of the pie. She wasn't a terrible cook, she just didn't quite understand the concept of measuring. It took some coaxing for me to get her to pull out her dusty measuring cups.

She talked about snail hunting and what she liked to cook. She told me about the Ruins and all the secret passages she had found in her many years of living here. It was actually pretty interesting to listen to, not nearly as grueling of a task as I thought it would be. All I needed to do was get her in a good mood.

I felt bad doing all of this, if I'm telling the truth. She deserved to find happiness and have a family. She wasn't a bad person, she had just... lost her way. I feel horrible about this, but I'm not the person who can give her what she wants.

As we was putting the pancakes on the pan, she offered me the spatula. The perfect idea popped into my head.

"I'm sorry, but could you flip the first one? I need a tu-Toriel before I can do it right," I tried as hard as I could to contain my smile, biting my bottom lip. Unfortunately, I couldn't do it, ad I stared up at her with the dumbest grin.

"Pffft, my child..." Toriel smiled, laughing quietly to herself. "That was half-baked at best."

"I don't know, I'm pretty skillet when it comes to being punny," I beamed at my double whammie.

She full-on laughed this time, "You're kitchen me! That wasn't oven good."

I giggled, "I heat to admit it, but I may need to expand my knowledge of puns!"

We both laughed, and she showed my how to flip the pancakes. The atmosphere in the kitchen was nice. For the first time ever in this house, it felt homey. It was like a punch to the stomach. I felt even worse about manipulating her.

We made four plates, and I went to grab Flowey and Doppy. We all sat together at the table in her living room, eating the pancakes. They tasted funny. I'm not sure what it was, maybe she put something in the batter and I didn't notice, but it was almost like there was sand in it. It had an odd, grainy texture that I wasn't very fond of. Still, I smiled and told her they were amazing.

"So, what are we going to do today?" I asked, wiping my face with a cloth napkin and picking up my plate. Toriel gave me a glare and extended her hand. I frowned and handed her my plate, and she smiled smugly when I did.