27; savior from failure again ;27

My eyes snapped open, and I fell to the ground, breathing heavily, clutching my chest as my eyes darted around me. In front of me, Sans whirled around, looking at me, on the ground and in the snow. He looked confused, staring down at me.

"the hel-"

"I need to go," I said quickly, staggering to my feet. It was freezing cold- so much colder than I remembered. "I-I'm sorry, I'll see you later."

I rushed past him, stumbling as I sped walked toward the house, down the main strip. I continued to clutch my chest, eyes widened in the innate fear that followed such an experience.

Maybe if I just go faster... I can miss them. Miss the knight or whatever they were. Whatever it was...

I didn't even see it coming, I was just suddenly... impaled. Gone in an instant. Without hesitation. Without a fight. Without... anything. It's so much less dramatic... than anything ever makes it out to be.

I made my way past Grillby's and I froze, the figure stalking forward in front of me. The clunking of metal steps echoed in the path. I couldn't bring myself to move. I begged my feet to turn around, my body to lurch away- anything.

Stop, no. They're gonna kill me. They're gonna kill me again- I-I'm... I can't- it'll...

Dying. It's like suffocating. The whole world just goes blank, fading away into a blanket of warmth. It takes you before you even know what's happening. It steals you away, taking you back to where you had been.

To that place.

To those two huge words, plastered in front of me. Taunting me with curiosity, prodding at the edge of my brain with what 'reset' could mean.

Again, that warmth threatened to overtake me.

My body wouldn't move, I couldn't see, I couldn't breathe. I just sat and I stared- terrified. I watched as the knight trudged toward me. Large, spiky armor, with a mask to match. Rough and jutting out, a dull, but threatening silver glinting against the snow.

It trudged toward me.

I can't forget it, get it out of my mind.

A bright red ponytail cascaded done the back of the helmet- or maybe it was a banner. Gleaming yellow eyes glaring through the slits of the visor.

It haunted me.

Made me cower in fear and stop in my tracks. My feet wouldn't move, my lungs wouldn't in or exhale. I just clutched the bottom hem of my sweater and watched as the knight saw me again.

One of those bright red spears, an odd weapon choice, conjured again. It shot toward me, four trailing behind it in a compass rose formation. I didn't move, I just stared.

I was stuck in place, unable to move.

My soul came out, and I simply watched.

Watched as the spears charged and punctured it.

My vision went dark immediately, and I lurched forward, thrust into that place. I fell forward, unintentionally choosing an option in that dark realm, which threw me back into the world.

I hated it- my uselessness. I can't fight. I won't even get the chance to talk my way out of this one, either. I tried to get ahead. What am I supposed to do? I-I can't. There's no other way out.

"I can't get away," I mumbled.

I was on the floor again, my body surrounded by snow as I sat in a fetal position, clutching either side of my head. Hot tears fell down my face, blotching onto my leggings. They cooled as soon as they touched the crisp winter air, yet they seemed warmer when they soaked into the back fabric.