Why Did You Go

Derek ran through the doors. He raced to the front desk, got the information, and ran to room 209. He flung open the door and scurried to the side of the bed.

Derek fell to his knees and grabbed their hand, tears in his eyes. He held it tightly and prayed for them to wake.

"Please..wake up, Stiles."

---

"Derek!" Stiles called.

Derek walked into the bedroom, coffee mug in hand.

"Have you seen my charger?"

"Bedside table- hey, do you think it's such a good idea to go alone? I can come with you."

"Derek. I'll be fine; it's just a weekend out with my dad, what's the worst that can happen?" Stiles said, grabbing his charger.

"A wild animal could attack you guys."

"Oh quit being ridiculous."

Derek sat on the bed. He grabbed Stiles's hand and held it firmly.

"I'm not being ridiculous. I'm just thinking about stuff that can happen," Derek sighed. "It's not like your dad is going to kill you."

Stiles snickered. "Please, that old man couldn't lay a finger on me."

Derek smirked.

"What?"

"There is something I want to do before you go."

Stiles's eyebrow perked up.

Derek pulled him in close then held his waist. Stiles got more comfortable, sitting on his lap.

"Promise me you'll come back."

"Derek-"

Derek kissed Stiles's neck, "Please."

"I promise you, I'll come back."

---

The news flashed on, interrupting Derek's show. He groaned but watched.

The anchor lady spoke fast, "This just in; a dad in the area has gone mad. Law enforcement is at the scene along with a few reporters. From what we can tell, the dad is in custody, and his child is in major condition."

Derek's stomach turned. No names were said, nor were any exact locations given. He couldn't help but worry for Stiles.

He grabbed his phone and called him, keeping his eyes on the screen. The call went to voice mail.

"Hey you lazy bastards, I can't get to the phone right now. If I don't pick up again, I don't want to talk to you. Uh, buh-bye."

Suddenly, the TV went from the lady to a live recording. There was an ambulance, doors open. The paramedics came rushing out.

Unfortunately, the camera didn't catch anything but when it panned over to the house Derek shot up.

He put his shoes on, grabbed his jacket, and ran.

---

"He's in really rough condition," the doctor started. "We have him hooked up to a machine that is breathing for him."

Derek held onto Stiles's hand and mindlessly listened.

"There is an 87% chance that he won't make it through the night. If he does, we'll have to watch him very closely. He will most likely need more surgeries and a great deal of PT." The doctor stopped. "I suggest you keep your mind open to everything, but, likely, he will not make it. I am sorry. We have done all that we could."

The doctor left.

Derek looked at Stiles and kissed his hand.

"Come on, Stiles. You better not leave me."

---

Derek ran out of the room. "Nurse! NURSE! Please! Help him!"

A handful of nurses rushed in. One of them kept Derek out of the room. Derek watched them as they took out tools, cut, and sewed.

Derek fell to his knees. "No...No!"

The doctor took off her gloves. "Time of death...16:43."

Derek's breathing stopped. He looked at Stiles. His lifeless body lay on the bed, pale as a ghost.