Chapter 1

Christen's POV

"Hatuna makaka!"
Gosh, this one always knows how to put an endless smile on my face.
"Brae, it's Hakuna Matata." She made me chuckle as she gave me a face.

"That's it I said it mommy!"
"Say it again."
"Hatuna makaka!"

I picked my daughter up placing a kiss on her cheek. "Does that mean you want to watch The Lion King?"
"Hmm." Braelynn places her finger on her chin and scrunched her eyebrows together bringing me yet, another smile.

"Yes please." I whisper an okay as I looked at my daughters adoring eyes. They were green, like mine. Her little arms were wrapped around my neck as I carried her into the living room so I could put the movie on for her.

I headed back into the kitchen to begin dinner while she had her eyes glued to the life of Simba.

She's the biggest blessing I could've ever received. This is probably the best time to address this...
When I was 17, just 3 months out from 18, I got pregnant with my now 6 year old daughter, Braelynn. The greatest gift. I was with her mother for nearly 6 years, I thought she'd be the woman I spent the rest of my life with but that changed faster than I wanted it to. The only good that came out of that nightmare of a relationship is my daughter.

Her mother, Y/n, walked out on us when Braelynn was 3 years old. I was in my last year at Stanford, trying to manage a toddler on my own. Thanks to my teammates and occasionally my family, since they were out of reach, I managed. I guess some people's love only stretches so far.

"Mommy, phone."
I walk over to the couch grabbing my phone to see Tobin called.

"Hey cuteness." I could practically hear Tobin's smile over the phone.
"Hey, I delivered some flowers to your door they should be there soon"
"Babe, you didn't have to." I couldn't help but to pout. I miss my girlfriend... well, she isn't my girlfriend...yet. It's complicated.
"I wanted to. Just wanted to remind you that I love you, that's all."
I heard a knock on the door assuming it's the flowers being delivered.
"You're the swe- TOBIN!"
I immediately wrapped my arms around her body and pulled her into my apartment.
Braelynn and Tobin said their hello's, Braelynn more attentive to her movie than Tobin.

"What are you doing here?!"

"Shhhh mommy."
Tobin and I turn our attention to the 6 year old who shushed us. This is her favorite movie so, no surprise she wants us to be quiet.

I lead Tobin into my kitchen where I was preparing to cook dinner. She leans back against the counter as I attached my lips to hers giving her a soft and slow kiss.

"How long are you staying for?"
"I just flew in early for the game on Saturday. You know, when we whoop the royals' ass."
"Shut up, don't ruin the mood."
"How've things been over here Chris?"

"Good, no troubles. Kelley and Amy are a big help with that one over there. I pretty much have it under control though."
"I can't wait until you two come live with me in Portland."
"When everything's over with. Soccer wise."
"Yeah of course. Braelynn will love it. It's a great place to raise kids."
"Plural... Tobin-"
"You're going to have another kid eventually. You're young baby, and wanting to have a kid with the same person idea got thrown out after-"

Tobin quickly turns to make sure my daughter wasn't listening in.
"That idea got thrown out after Y/n abandoned you." Tobin whispers.
"I know but I'm just not ready for another child. Plus, you and I aren't officially together yet, slow your road lover." I kissed her cheek and began to think.

What could Y/n be doing right now that's more important than taking care of her daughter? What's more important than bring here? What was so hard that she couldn't stay to fix our broken relationship?

. . .

Y/n's POV

"You're all some pus-" before I could finish my sentence, I heard gunshots outside. "Fuck." I mumbled. "Let's get 'em!"

My Sergeant rounded us up as we headed outside with our gear. Dodging bullets. Before I step into fire, I usually take one last look at the picture of my ex and my daughter.

"Kinsley let's go!"
I ran out with my rifle in hand behind my guys. We proceeded trading shots back and forth until things died down. We got to settle down at nightfall.

"Kinsley, Jefferson, Hugh, Boomer, and Poole, follow me."
The 5 of us followed our sergeant and he handed us each an envelope.
"Sergeant, what is this?" I spoke up.

"You're leaving. All 5 of you. You've each been her far too long. Enduring too much, but you never backed down and never falter. It's time for you to see your families. It's been 3 years. You need to go home. It was my pleasure to serve with you all."

Sergeant shook our hands and we headed out to pack up our belongings. I was leaving the Middle East but, I'd have to face her. Christen. My daughter. I left them and never turned back. 

We got our orders and looks like I'll spending the remaining year of my contract in Utah and on occasion going to California. Last I heard of Christen was, she's in Chicago. Guess I'll have to stop there.

Getting letters where I was stationed was difficult. We were always moving. There was always an issue so I gave up on writing them. I can't wait to get back to the states. I miss my daughter. I just hope Chris will let me see her.

.  .  .

I spent the first two weeks of my time back in the U.S. back in California with my family. All of them bombarding me with questions. Most of them were;
"What's going to happen with Christen?"
"Do you want your fiancé back?"
"When are you bringing Braelynn here?"
"Have you seen your daughter yet?"

I pushed the questions off. Realistically, only the questions about Christen. The only reason for that is, I don't know what I feel for her right now. It's been almost 4 years. She's probably happily moved on. Living her best life.

That won't or shouldn't hurt me. I left her. She deserves to be happy. But, Braelynn. Does she remember me? Does she love me? Does she think I hate her? Has she replaced me? That's what wandered around my head.

I grabbed my bag as I looked around for my best friend in the airport in Utah. As soon as I landed my eyes on the shorter woman, she ran towards me, arms wide open to embrace me as she jumped into my arms.

"KELLEY!" I spun her around in my arms as she looked over me. Her eyes welled with tears. "You're finally home!" I wrapped my arms around her once again as she cried a bit.

I got into her car as we headed to her apartment. I'd be crashing here until my apartment was ready. The military has its perks.

"You have to see my family soon, oh and the stadium I play at, gorgeous! Oh and Y/n, the best thing you've ever done in your life was create a child!"
"I served- okay."
"Yeah okay that too but Braelynn, she's so adorable and all grown up."
"Don't say that. Just- idk."
"And Christen. Wow."

I look in Kelley's direction. "She's hot."
"Always has been."
"So, you're coming to the game Saturday, right because you're doing the thing?"
"It's the NWSL team right?"
"Yep, and Chris will be there. I hope you're prepared. Anyway, towels in the cabinet, I'll cook us up something."

Kelley hugs me before telling me how happy she is that I'm home. I kept in touch with her while I was overseas. She'd give me news about my daughter and occasionally Christen even though she isn't my main concern.

Christen. Braelynn. Am I ready to see them?