Chapter 42

CHRISTEN's POV

It's been 2 days since Y/n left. My family finally went back to California and I no longer have to see Tyler's face. I didn't talk to her before she left because if I did, I'm pretty sure I would have killed her.

She's been texting me, trying to get me to talk to her. She thinks bringing up the fact that we're sisters is going to help. I don't care if we're sisters, if that's her excuse, she should know that a sister doesn't kiss their sisters girlfriend.

It's been tough around here. It's like I don't remember how to live life without Y/n. Since we got back together, we were never away from each other for very long periods of time. Braelynn whines and whines about her mom but, there's nothing I can do about it and I feel horrible. Not to mention, I'm very pregnant. I need Y/n. I know this isn't important but, a girl NEEDS to get some and she isn't here to do that for me.

I decided the best way for me to take my mind off of Y/n and try to live my life while she isn't here is by making a schedule for my every day life. We all know how I love organization.

First business to take care of is getting Braelynn to daycare. That's also a nice refresher for her. She can play with other kids and not worry about where her mom is and when she's coming back. I dropped Braelynn off and headed to the doctors office.

I have an appointment today which is next up on my list. I just want to check in and see how the baby is doing. I also promised Y/n if our doctor slips up and tells me what gender it is, I won't tell Y/n because she wants it to be a surprise.

I honestly didn't realize how lame my life is without soccer, my kid, and my girlfriend. Is this how things were before? Cause I do not remember feeling so lonely. Yeah, no. Y/n really can't die because I'll just be miserable for the rest of my life.

. . .

Y/N POV

I stood in place looking around. The sounds of wind blowing, sounds of gun fire far away in the distance, and the sound of my company setting up at our base. I was soon joined by Zoey.

"Bringing back memories?" She asks as she stood beside me. I smile and nod as we looked at the setting sun. This time around, Zoey and I are fully in charge of a company. Alone. No authority over us to oversee our operations.

These people. These young boys and girls, they're somebody's kid, dad, mom, brother, sister. That always crosses my mind. So I have to do a damn good job and make sure I get them back to their families alive.

I have to make sure I get back to my family alive.
"Should we found everyone up right now?" Zoey asks and I nod.
Zoey wants me to take full lead over everyone because she, and I quote, "can't bare the responsibility of her marine brother and sisters' blood on her hands". So realistically, I'm in charge and Zoey is just my right hand woman.

I walked into the little house the last battalion that was here vacated for us to use when we got here. My team sat on their sleeping bags looking up at Zoey and I. For most of them, this was their first real deal of action.

They've been on base, in intensified simulations and training courses of situations that could happen out here. They prepare us well but, in a real life situation, when the bullets are flying, that's when the real test comes. It can make or break you and if you don't stay focused, it can kill you.

"So, I know some of you are shaking in the inside and trying to grasp at the situation. For a lot of you, this is your first combat mission, your first deployment. Or real deployment I should say. I'm just going to put it to you straight, suck it up. Yes, it will be scary, yes you will want your mommy, but, if you want your mom to remain safe, your girlfriend, your kid, your family, whoever you care about to remain safe, you need to keep your head in the game. This is real shit. But, you're not alone. We're all scared, I'm scared. I have a family to get home to, so, let's all take care of each other. Never leave anyone behind."

They all stared back at me, I could see some fear in their eyes. Normal.

"Johnson, Maddox, you'll be on night duty with Zoey tonight. Well do shift rotations so, at 11 pm I need you up and watching our backs while we sleep. At 4 am Hansen and Francis, you'll be up with me. Everyone needs to be awake by 8 am. Well need to be up to wait for the recon squad because hopefully, we won't still be in this area tomorrow night. Anyway, those of you on first shift of night duty, i recommend getting some shut eye right now."

I walked out of the room and looked back around outside. It's 7 pm here which means it's around 11 in the morning for Chris? She should be awake.

I grab my phone and attempt to call her.

...

"Babe! oh my gosh, are you okay? Are you hurt?"
I couldn't do anything but smile at Christen.
"Well hello to you too, Chris"
Christen's sighed.
"I'm sorry, hi babe. I miss you."
"I miss you more, how are things going over there?" I ask.
"Things are good, just wish you were here. I just left the doctors and I'm going to workout with Kel and Taylor for a bit. And I wish you would've called earlier while I still had Braelynn. She would've loved to see you."
"Yeah well I just got everyone situated. I didn't know if I'd have another chance to talk to you, so I wanted to now. But, I love you and I need to get some sleep. I don't know when I'll be able to talk to you again so kiss Brae for me. I love you both."
"I love you more."

I smiled before ending the call. Gosh I miss her.
I head back into the rooms hearing my people end their calls as well while some slept.

Tomorrow, everything really begins. I opened the locket on the necklace Christen got me and kissed the picture of my girls before getting some sleep myself.

A/n: Next chapter will most likely be all Y/n? Not sure yet. Anyway, I'm still trying to decide if i want to piss y'all off or not 🥴 I want to do something that I've been thinking about for a while but some of y'all might be too mad to continue reading lol. Lmk what y'all wanna see happen next 🤍