Chapter 48

Y/N POV

I opened my eyes and the bright lights hurt my eyes. I looked around as my vision started to clear and I saw Johnson next to me with an oxygen mask on my face.

Looking down at myself, I had all sorts of wires on me and bandages. I removed the oxygen mask and tried sitting up before I'm pushed back down by someone.
"Hey hey, chill. Do you know where you are?" The woman says. I ignore her as I try to get up again. I try to unhook myself from the machines.
"Y/n I need you-"
"Where's Zoey? Where's- I need to get up."

"No, you need to lie down. You were in an accident. Sit still."
"I don't care. I need-"
"Y/n I'm trying to help you."
"I don't want your fucking help!"

I'm pushed down again when I hear Zoey's voice.
"Y/n chill out. Relax. Take a deep breath."
I grabbed Zoey's arm and pulled her down into a hug before wincing at the pain.
"I thought you died." I mumbled before letting out a shaky breath.
"No I didn't but you almost did. Don't do that to me ever again." She says nudging my arm and apologizing as I winced again.

"Fuck. Where's my phone? I need to call-"
"Christen? Yeah I know but, general wants no calls going out until we find who attacked us."

"We already know who did it. Come on, where's my gear? We need to get back out there."
"Y/n no, lay down. You're not going back-"
"Our job isn't finished yet Zo."
"Yes it is, at least for now. You're banged up pretty bad, my collar bone is shattered, Johnson is fucked up, all of us are done."
"Says who? You?"

"Me."
I turn my head to the voice.
"General Sterling." I say.
"You all did amazing work. And it came with a very high cost. We can't thank you enough but, Kinsley, you all have been through hell. You're done. All of you."

"What do you mean we're done? I'm not-"
"You're done. You're going home. If we send you back, you will die. There's nothing left to do. We're coming to an agreement with Syria as we speak. You-you did the unimaginable and took down one of the worlds biggest threats. You're done Y/n. You did your job."

"Is- is everyone alive?" I asked concerned about my team.
"Everyone is alive except for Wilkinson and Aurora. Thanks to you, they get to go home to their families and thanks to you, we get to return our fallen soldiers back to their families."

"Okay well am I getting deployed somewhere else, what does-"
"No, you're going home. To your girlfriend and your kid, all of you. Like I said, you're done. There is no way you can go back anywhere. You got shot 3 times and not to mention those bullets didn't exit your body without your surgery. You're lucky it missed your spinal cord. You have an abdominal injury and your wrist is banged up. A few minor injuries besides that but Y/n those gunshots- you're lucky. You're done Y/n. We'll sort the rest when we get back to Utah. It's over. Your job is complete."

I didn't know what was left to say.
I looked over at Johnson who smiled at me before nodding in my direction as a thank you.
I let tears fall from my eyes as Zoey smiles at me.

"You're a hero, Kinsely. Get some rest before we begin transport."

. . .

CHRISTEN POV

I finished making breakfast before telling Braelynn to come in and eat who was followed by Tyler.
"How ya feeling today?" Tyler asks as we sat at the table.

"I'm better, I just miss Y/n a lot today. Our baby is kicking."
I smiled down at my growing belly.
"You still don't know what it is?"
"Well I have a file in my email with the sex but, Y/n wants to be surprised and I think it'll be good for us."

"Have you heard from her?"
"No, I wasn't trying to think ok much of it because she's working, connection could be bad, I just don't want any bad thoughts creeping in."
"Good idea, so what should we do today, Brae?" Tyler asks turning to my daughter.

They begin having a side conversation when someone knocks on my door.
"Probably Kells." I say getting up and opening the door.

I walk to the door and open it to two servicemen again. I fought the urge to slam the door in their face. I took a deep breath preparing myself for the news to come.

"Ms. Press, The Commandant of the Marine Corps has entrusted me to express that your girlfriend, Sergeant Y/N Kinsley has been found but, with seemingly serious injuries sustained from her deployment in Syria. Transportation is happening at 2400. ETA is approximately 1400. Have a good day."

With that the two men swiftly walk away. I felt tears spring out of my eyes as I cried in relief.
Turning around Tyler gets up giving me a hug.

I wipe my eyes and smile at Braelynn.
"Mama's coming home!" I smile before I pick my daughter up and pepper her with kisses.

.  .  .

NEXT DAY

ZOEY POV

I smiled as I walked out of the hospital here in Utah. We had just gotten back about an hour ago and it felt good to be home.
I put on my service uniform before walking into the hospital lobby. I was immediately greeted by Josie.

Wrapping my arm around my ready eyed lover, I smiled brightly as I began to let out tears.
"Baby!" She yells as people applauded.
"Hi love." I reply and tell her to be careful with my left side since my collar bone is done for while it heals.

"How's Y/n?"
"She's holding on, but, speaking of which, do you want to come with me to pick up Christen? I made sure no one told her we got in early."
"Of course I do."

...

A/N: I'll leave y'all with that for now :) I officially know what drama will come next for the story ... honestly, wouldn't call it drama but next big event to unfold. 😈😈