Chapter 29

⚠️possible sensitive content⚠️

Y/N POV

"There are threats on the base right now. We aren't sure how they got on-"
I began but was interrupted when one of the base security officers spoke up.
"They killed Shaw and Leerman." He said in a shaky voice.

I took my cover (a/n: military cap for those who don't know lol) off before sighing.
"Alright, look, we're the only eyes here. We all have families, people to get home to. People to protect and this is the first time facing a real threat for most of you but please, put your training into works right now. Secure our base again. Get your equipment, ammo and Zoey will split you into groups. Everyone, let's go. Stay focused, stay sharp."

After separating, I led my team out towards the main buildings and the main field where ceremonies and main training is held. As we approached I saw more vehicles rolling in. Vehicles that weren't ours.

My plan was to surround our targets from all angles which is how I separated the groups.

"Kinsley, no sign of the target in the chow hall. We're moving out, I'll leave 3 men behind." I heard Zoey come over our radio.
"Copy that. Meet at 1st battalion field."

As we started moving in closer everything was silent. Too silent. "Perimeter check?" Hill asked and I nod giving off directions. I moved in alone as the company I led went to their sides to check around

POW

I looked off and saw shooters. "ROOFTOP!" I yelled trying to alert my team when shots just continued to go off. I took cover immediately when my phone starts to ring. It was Christen.

"Kinsley I'm coming back to you!" One of my trainees yells to me and I shake my head no. Before I could say anything else he starts running my way but falls right in front of me.

"Shawn!" I yelled as I pulled him behind the wall.
"I'm sorry." He whispered. I couldn't cry. I had to keep it together. I snatch his tags off of his neck putting them in my pocket.

"Zoey, where are you and your team, we're under fire."
"Flanking in right now."
"Copy that."

The fire comes to a halt and I slowly look out. My team meets back around me ready to continue on.
"There's too many of them over here Kinsley. We can't go up the field. Where's Shawn?" Bradley asks.
"He's no longer with us. We can't let that get to us right now, Shawn stayed on this base. We gotta protect it for him."

I stood up ready to find Zoey and her team.
"2 column formation, I'm going to check this next level." I say to my team. Them falling in line. As we turn the corner a gun is pointed at my head.  "Peekaboo" he said. His thick accent laced in his words.

.  .  .

CHRISTEN POV

Y/n was supposed to be at my apartment 2 hours ago. I called her getting no response. I know I shouldn't think this and no I'm not being insecure but, what if she's cheating on me? I mean, she could've changed and became a cheater in the last 3 years.

I called her again and still nothing.

"Hey babe, look I don't know what you're doing but, I'm worried. It's been 2 hours and you were supposed to get off work already. If you didn't want to come over you could just tell me that. It's not a big deal- well it is. I want to spend time with you and our child is wondering where you are. Anyway, call me back please."

.  .  .

Y/N POV

I looked the man in his face making sure he kept his eyes on me before bringing my knee to his stomach and unarming him before grabbing his gun and shooting him with it twice in the chest.

"Badass, I've missed seeing that." I hear Zoey say.
"Where's the rest of your crew?" I ask looking behind her at a seemingly smaller squad.
They all look at each other before putting their heads down.

"I'm sorry, look we've got to find out where all these jerks are hiding. This had to be an inside job. They must've known that this would be a day most of our units aren't on base. We're low on manpower, speaking of which, Zoey where's Cooper, Lyle, and Norman."
"They said they were double checking the chow hall before meeting back-"

BOOM

We look towards the chow hall now up in flames.
"New plan, shoot anyone that doesn't belong here. Hartley, told me most of them are held up by the barracks, setting bombs more then likely. We need to get over there. Watch each other's backs, let's go."

We ran across the field, and as we got closer to the barracks, shots rained down on us.

All I could think about was Christen and Braelynn. They lived without me for 3 years, knowing I was still alive... but how would they go on now? With how things are for us. How would they go on knowing I'm no longer here? Dying isn't an option. It can't be.

We made it into the barracks... two bodies gone.
I turned to my group some of them in tears. Zoey decided we should separate again. Each group in one side of the barracks.

My team stopped in the artillery room. "Jefferson, all clear?"
"Yes sergeant Kinsle-"
Shots soon followed. And down he dropped. My team quickly firing back as I pulled Jefferson into me. I grabbed his hand as he squeezed mine crying.

"Sergeant I can't, I can't die today my daughter, I just had a daughter. She's 3 months old. Please don't let me die."
I couldn't even hold myself together but I had to.
"I'm not going to let you die, you're okay. You'll be okay.
"You ha-have a daughter too."
"I do, her name is Braelynn, she's 6. You'll get to that with your daughter soon. The years go by fast."
"What if I- I don't make it to my-"
"I'm not losing anyone else today. You're making it okay? The bullet went through, you're going to be okay. I'm not letting you die on me."

He was losing a lot of blood. I took my coat off and tied it around his abdomen to keep the pressure there for as long as I could.
"You got this okay, can you stand?"
"Yeah."

I helped him up as I put my rifle across my body.
"Let's get going. Hartley, all clear down the right?"
"Yeah, come on."

As we're walking through the hall, one of the bases threats appeared again. This one, with a bomb taped around his body.
My team quickly aimed their rifles and fired before I could yell don't shoot.

The bomb went off and I tried to get as far away as I could before impact.

...

NEXT MORNING

CHRISTEN POV

I woke up on the couch from a knock at my front door. I look over at my cable box to read the time seeing it was 8 in the morning. Y/n was still nowhere in sight, my bedroom door still wide open with an empty bed.

Another knock was at my door. I opened the door, revealing Zoey. In her uniform.

Wait...

Serviceman in a uniform at the spouses door only means one thing.
Before Zoey could say anything, my heart broke as tears welled in my eyes.