Chapter 40

Y/N POV

It's 5 am and here I am, on a run trying to mentally prepare myself. Tomorrow I leave to the Middle East to protect this country. It wasn't so hard the first time I left. Now, I'm nervous. I'm anxious. Most importantly, I'm afraid. I've nearly died before. If I die this time around, things will never be the same.

Now , I have Christen and Braelynn back in my life. Plus, a new baby is on the way. This is the absolute worst timing. I got back to the appointment after running a few miles and Christen was up in the kitchen making coffee.

"Good morning." I say as I walked into the apartment. Christen gave me a faint smile. Possibly because I'm leaving tomorrow and because it's 5 in the morning.

I walked over to her giving her a kiss on the forehead and she broke down in tears before turning to me and clinging to me for dear life. She sobbed into my chest making my heartache.

"Babe, what's wrong?"
"You're a dumbass." She sobbed making me chuckled and rub small circles on her back.
"We're not spending today in tears. I leave tomorrow afternoon, you can't cry now, cry later when I'm
gone so I don't turn into a mess."

"Can't I just tie you to a tree or something so you don't have to leave?"
"It doesn't work that way, but, you can make me some breakfast while I shower."

Christen smiles which turns into a smirk.
"Or I can be your breakfast."

"I like the sound of that much better."
I pick Christen up as she wraps her legs around my waist. Carrying her to the bedroom I close the door before going into the bathroom.

She strips out of her clothes quickly before helping me out of mine and getting into the shower.
"Don't be too loud, it's weird enough having sex while your parents are in the other room."

Christen connects our lips as she pulls me into the shower.

. . .

I had one last meeting to attend before deployment tomorrow. I also have to tell Braelynn I'm leaving today. So much to do, so little time.

I walked into the briefing room, taking a seat next to Zoey. "Oh look, you made it." She says teasing me.
"Shut up. You packed up?"
"Yeah, Josie says she's going to shrink herself and jump into my bag."
"Pft if Christen could do that she probably would. She's set on tying me to a tree."
"Yeah no. If I have to go, so do you."

Our general came in and briefed us about what tomorrow will look like. He told us where we need to meet up, gave us access passes for our families that will be sending us off, and our tasks when we land.

"So, I've appointed leaders for each squad. There will be 5 teams that touch base. Each deployed in different areas.
Romero and Jackson, Squad 1, in that file will be your list of marines in your squad, learn them.
Davies and Howard, Squad 2
Burrell and Leerman, Squad 3
Hayes and Wilkinson, Squad 4, air support and medical evacuations
Lastly, Kinsely and London, on ground, in action, special ops, you'll do it all from the front line while squads 1 & 2 back you from the outsides. I'll see you all tomorrow. Go over your checklist and make sure you have everything on the list packed."

Zoey and I decided to stay after to meet our company and talk to the other leaders before heading home. Christen was putting together a semi big dinner tonight since I'll be leaving tomorrow. My family would not be attending sadly because they don't get along with the Press's so much so FaceTime will have to do. Christen took the liberty of inviting some of our mutual friends and Zoey and her girlfriend.

I headed to the apartment and walked in to the smell of food.
"It smells good in here." I say announcing my presence.
Christen comes over to me giving me a tight hug.
"Is this how all our hugs are going to be until I leave?"
"Yes, I don't want you to leave."

I kiss Christen quickly and noticed Tyler staring at us. Christen and Tyler have been cordial with each other over the past few days so no new drama would spur. Christen is already dealing with a lot of stress and different emotions so they've decided to bury that situation.

I greeted my daughter before telling her to come to the room so we could have a talk. Christen noticed and stopped what she was doing to follow along.

"Y/n-" Chris stops me before I walk into the room.
"I have to tell her Chris."
"I'm coming with."
I shrug as we walked into our room where Braelynn sat on our bed.

I kneeled down in front of her as Christen sat on the side of her. Gosh I'm getting emotional and I haven't said anything yet.

"So princess, you know I love you right?"
Braelynn nods and I look at Christen. She motions for me to continue.

"Well, I love you so much that I have to go do something very very important for a while. I'm leaving tomorrow for a little while. I promise you that I will come back though. So, while I'm gone, I need you to protect and help your mommy out. She's going to need it because you're getting a little sister. So can you do that?"

Braelynn's eyes watered as she got off the bed and into my arms. "I don't want you to leave."
"I know, but you have to be a big girl." I wiped her tears as she stood up straight, staring into my eyes.

"I don't want you ever think I don't love you because I do. You know I want to always keep you and your mommy safe so that's what I'll be doing. I need you to be strong for your mommy while I'm not here."
Braelynn just nods before wrapping her arms around me again. I stood up holding her in my arms as Christen wipes the tears streaming down her cheeks.

I stuck my other arm out so Christen could join in on our hug.
"I love you both."
We stood like that for a minute or two before the doorbell sounded.
"We have guests so put your pretty faces back on." I tickled Braelynn getting a smile out of her and looked into Christen's eyes making her smile as well. 

We all exited the room greeting Zoey and Josie.

As the dinner went on and everyone talked amongst themselves, I took a step back to look at everyone. Christen came over to me sitting on my lap before handing me a glass of apple cider since Zoey and I aren't allowed to drink the night before deployment.

"I love you." She says making me smile before placing a kiss on her lips.
I tapped her thigh so I can stand up before grabbing everyone's attention.

"I just wanted to thank everyone for coming and thank my beautiful baby mama for putting this together. I know it's a bittersweet moment but, Zoey and I are both grateful to have people like you in our lives. We may be leaving to one of the most dangerous places in the world but, I know Zoey and I will come back in one piece. I'll always run home to you, Chris.  So, thank you all for coming and I love y'all."

Everyone clapped and cheered and as the night began to wind down, all I could think about was what I was about to get into. Tomorrow is the day.

A/n: Y/n is leaving!!! Braelynn finally knows and everyone is in a good mood :) lemme know your thoughts. I'll try and update tomorrow or Sunday!  love y'all 😌 (I also didn't proof read this so excuse errors lol)