Chapter 23

Y/N's POV

"Kinsley, how was your trip to California?"
"It was great sir. Really needed to see my family."
"I'm glad. Now, down to the real business. There's two packets in front of you. Discharge papers or Re-Enlistment forms."

I looked down at the two papers on the table in front of me in the briefing room. I stayed back after reviewing our schedule for the week. I've been giving this a lot of thought. Especially during my time in California.

Talking to my family helped a lot. But, I didn't ask Christen. I already know what she wants me to do. At the end of the day, it's my decision and I put this off too long. I continued to look back and forth between the two.

Why am I wasting my time? I already know what I'm doing. Stop fronting Y/n.

I grabbed the re-enlistment forms beginning to fill them out.

Would you like to continue in the career field of your choice: Infantry.
Yes or no?

I stopped after reading the question. The first one that came to mind was Braelynn. If I go back to infantry, I risk getting deployed. It's kind of inevitable.

But it's all I know. I don't want to retrain and learn a whole new job. I don't want to be stuck behind a desk or doing any boring shit. I live for the action.

"Don't stress over it, Kinsley. Bring them back by the end of today."
"Thank you sir."

I walk out of the briefing room. Gosh this is giving me anxiety.

.  .  . 

CHRISTEN POV

Y/n knocked on the door shortly after texting me she was on her way over. We haven't talked since we got back from California last night.
She had to go into work early so, I didn't have a chance.

I was still processing the fact that she blurted out our secret to Tobin.

Let me give y'all the tea right quick.

When Y/n walked out of the room that night, Tobin asked Kelley and everyone else to leave and of course she went gung-ho on me. I felt like a kid when she was yelling. I deserved it though. I cheated on one of the sweetest people I know.

And that's not even all. Tobin called my mother on me. MY MOTHER.

So, then came another raging woman. She was more upset at the fact that I cheated on Tobin with a "sorry excuse of a person". My family doesn't like Y/n if that wasn't already obvious.

"Hey." She says as she walks in sitting on my couch. "Braelynn's taking a nap. But, um, Tobin."

"I know I'm sorry. I apologized before letting loose but, she had it coming. Also, you told me yourself you were going to let her go."
"On my own time and my own terms."
"I couldn't wait anymore, C."

"Why not? I just needed more-"

"Time? Yeah no. I wasn't waiting anymore to get back what I lost. To get you back because I want you. I want an us and I want to love you. I want to put you and our daughter first and I want our family. I messed up in the past and this is my second chance. Nothing was getting in my way anymore. So that's why I told Tobin straight up. She was in my way."

I just stared back at Christen not knowing what to do. "Well I'm all yours now... I mean if you were like asking me to be your girlfriend again but if not-"
"Well, will you be my girlfriend again?"

I connected my lips to Y/n's before we were interrupted by a 6 year olds sleepy voice. I pull away turning my attention to our daughter smiling at her.

"Oh and by the way, there's a family event this Friday at the base and I want you to come."
"Of course I will."

. . .

Y/N POV

I headed back to base and it was time for me to turn my paperwork in. No, I didn't talk to Christen about it. But, wow, Christen's my girlfriend again. I can't ruin things again.

"How many times did you go back and forth before deciding on the winner?" Zoey asked as we sat in the briefing room alone.
"Dude I've been sitting on this for months. I didn't know what I wanted to do but I made the only logical choice."

"Well good luck. Go turn your shit in." Zoey says before standing up as we exited the briefing room and she walks me to our commanding officers office.

. . .

"I'm proud of you, Kinsley. No matter what." My commanding officer shook my hand before I walked out of his office after handing in my papers.

"The princess is here, what'd you decide to do?" Zoey asked as I walked away with her.
"I literally texted you."
"I just want to hear you say it."

"I've officially re-enlisted into the United States Marine Corps." I smiled as Zoey hugged me.

"Dude I'm so excited for you. You didn't tell me though, we're you going back into infantry or switching professions? I mean you could just teach classes."

"Yeah but what's the fun in that? I don't want to do anything boring."

Zoey stops walking and stares at me with a blank face.
"You just got your girlfriend back and you're building on your relationship with your daughter. Please tell me you did not re-enlist and select Infantry again."

I give her a weak smile before she face palms herself.
"Y/n, Christen is going to kick your ass."
"Hakuna Matata."
"Shut up dufus this is serious."
"I know, I'm an idiot. But, I can't do anything other than infantry, I'm not built for it. Plus, I need an income. I don't want to rely on my girlfriend. I'm the woman of the house."

"You're dumb. I just want you to know that. I'll always support you though. But, I'm dumb too. I talked to Stevens and I re-enlisted. Never leave your sister, your battle buddy alone. I have your back. One last tango."

I smiled giving Zoey a hug.

Guess I won't be alone... I mean, unless Christen dumps me.

A/N: So uhhhh don't be mad lol...... give me your thoughts also excuse any errors I was too lazy to proof read 😂💀