Chapter 44

Y/N POV

"Stay down!" I yelled as we all kneeled behind a boulder. "Y/n, we have no idea how many of them there are. If they round behind us, we're toast."
"So we keep them in front of us. Johnson, cover me." I say as I stand up running to our right to get a better look at who's shooting and where it's coming from.

"Zoey, right in front of you, under the tree."
Zoey squints and catches a glimpse of the guy before shooting him. Soon after, we found all 4 of the shooters.

I let out a deep breath as I went back inside to gather our gear. I looked down at my watch and saw it was only 1:30 in the afternoon. We aren't scheduled to move from this post until 4.

"Alright, looks like we're getting a move on early. There's no telling how many of them will come here expecting to find and kill us. Round up your gear, let's go. 2 column formation please."

We walked for about a mile when we finally found a vacant house. We were in a run down area but as I looked at the map, we were closer to our target.
"Ay, look." I point out a road on the map.
"The Bagheri compound has to be there. Recon checked the other two."

"Which means we're closer than they are." Maddox points out as his eyes widened. "Wait, does that mean we can get to them first?!" He asks exciting the rest.

"We can't just barge in." Zoey points out as she turns to our group.
"You're right but we can be like "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND" and just bam, job done." Hansen jokes and laughs.
"Yeah and then you'll be met with his whole army to kill all of us. We don't know if we're out numbered and by the looks of how many bodies he's had to spare in suicide missions, we will be bombarded and I'm not ready nor will I ever be ready to let any of you walk into a death trap."

Everyone dispersed after my comment and I sat at the table looking for different points of entry and ways to scope out the compound. I'm leading this team and I don't want to put them directly in harms way.

I ran my hand through my hair. Leading is hard.
It's too late to call Christen to confide in. She's more than likely fast asleep. I ended up looking at the pictures of my daughter and girlfriend when it hit me.

We can do our own recon. We're in someone's abandoned home there could be clothing that'll help us fit in. But fuck it who needs a disguise? We have weapons strapped to us. A disguise won't work. This is one of our biggest missions on this deployment. Although our work here won't be done for another few months or so, I'd rather get a jump on things now.

"Zoey!" I call out before she appears. She looks at me for me to continue.
"I say we go pop up on that son of a bitch."
"Y/n, that's suicide. You said it yourself. If we go in there or attempt to, more than likely we're all going to die."
"Well we can't sit here and do nothing! There are 2 missing soldiers that are possibly there, we need to do something Zoey."
"I'm not going to let you take us in there to get killed! I don't want you to die and I don't think Christen or your kids do either."

I looked down before sighing.
"Zoey, think about it. The longer we sit around, the more time we give them to murder people and the closer they get to going back to Utah and hurting the people we love. I'm willing to take the risk to make sure nothing happens to my girls. You don't have to come."
"Well you know I won't let you go out there alone."
I smiled before hugging Zoey.
"I always have your back Zo, we're not going to die. I'll make sure of it. Let's round up everyone."

Zoey and I rounded up our crew and we began to inform them of our next move.

"In order for this to work, we'll be split into two teams. Zoey will lead one, I'll lead the other. Load up on gear. We don't know what we're walking into. Hansen, get the general on the phone."

. . .

"Yes sir, I know that. But, if we strike now, it's likely they won't expect it. I just want to get in there before it gets dark and we're about 3 clicks out. It's not that far."
"Kinsley, these are my men-"
"General, no disrespect but this is my team. They trust me, I trust them. We need to try and right now is a golden opportunity. They don't know we're here."
"It's a suicide mission."
"General, people die everyday doing this job. We signed up for this and my team is willing to risk their lives for this."
"I don't want any casualties, Kinsley."
"Well if there are any casualties, I'll make sure it's my own and Bagheri's. Deal? Great. See you soon General."

With that I hung up and turned around to see everyone gathered around me.

"We're not letting you die, Sergeant. We're a team, your team like you said. We're your family out here. If you get hit, we get hit." Johnson says before sticking his hand out to me. I shake it giving him a smile.

"Well, the General didn't like my idea but we're going through with it anyway. Load up, take a lot of ammo, we have no idea what we'll encounter so make sure you have your gas masks. We head out in 10."

I go outside and call Christen knowing she won't answer. So I decide to leave her a voicemail.

"Hey babe. I know you're sleeping but I just wanted to check in. I'm doing okay, I miss you and Braelynn so much and my growing boy. Yes, I said boy again. Anyway, I hope you have a good day. I don't know when I'll be able to call you again but, to you and our kiddos, I love you. I love you more than anything. Please, keep our kids safe."

I go back inside and everyone was ready.
"Let's head out."

. . .

We began our journey to the Bagheri compound and as it came in sight, we split up to look around to gain a bit of insight on how the compound is built and where the best point of entry would be.

After gathering our intel, we decided the best way to go in is through the east wing, away from civilians. Closer to the water and there are less guards on the side.

"Kinsley, the guard just left his post, it looks like a rotation. I think now is go time." Maddox points out and I nod.
"Time for war." I say before shooting the locks on the door and kicking it opened.

A/n: So, as people have warned Y/n that this is a suicide mission, she still decides to go for it. How ya feeling? Y'all think Chris will flip after hearing the voicemail?