Chapter 17

CHRISTEN'S POV

I was back home in Utah. That road trip was exhausting, to say the least. Being around Tobin, it isn't the same as it used to be. Not since that night with Y/n. When she told me how she feels. I suddenly didn't feel so alone.

Y/n was coming over to bring Braelynn back to me. I got in late last night so, I haven't seen my daughter yet.

I looked around my apartment after finishing tidying it up. Y/n and I have decided it's best to not display our affection in front of our daughter. We aren't sure if we want to dive into anything right now so we'd rather not confuse her.

Oh and, I haven't told Tobin that our thing is over. I couldn't bring myself to do it. I still can't. She's still texting me, we're still talking late at night. It's like we're just friends. Except, she thinks we're more. I also haven't told Y/n that I haven't told Tobin so yeah. I'm caught in a hard place.

Y/n opens my door and Braelynn runs straight to me.
"Hi munchkin!" I yelled as my daughters arms wrapped around my neck as I bent down to greet her.
"I missed you mommy!"
"I missed you more." I say kissing my daughter on the cheek as Y/n closes the door.

"You should lock your door, Chris. Wouldn't want an ax murderer coming in here."
"That's what you're here for, soldier."
She walks over to me giving me a hug and sneaking a kiss on my cheek before whispering in my ear.
"I've missed you and if Braelynn wasn't standing here, you'd be pinned against the wall right now."

Y/n backs away. Her words sending chills down my spine but, giving me a rush. I wanted to just pounce on her right now, even though she doesn't want to have sex. Why does she do this to me?

"How was your trip?" Y/n asks as Braelynn goes to her room.
"Uh, it was pretty good. We won the games. I wish you were there though."
"Oh really." Y/n smirks before putting her hands on my waist and capturing my lips. I moaned in the kiss before she pulls away.

"Movie time!" Braelynn cheers as she ran out of her room.
"I was actually going to head home, kiddo. I have work tomorrow."
"Stay please, mama."
"I- fine."

I smiled to myself as Y/n gave in. More time for us. Y/n sat in between Braelynn and I resting her hand on my thigh as we watched a princess movie. Name a more perfect night.

. . .

Braelynn was in the bath and Y/n and I sat in my living room just chatting it up like old times. I enjoyed being in her presence. Us cuddling and enjoying each other.

"I've missed this."
"Me too, it's much better than being shot at and cuddling with a rifle."
I couldn't help but to chuckle.

"I never asked. Tobin, how'd she take it?"
"Really good actually, she uh, she you know, told me she understood where I was coming from and you know, she dropped the conversation. Anyway-"
"So she's fine with everything. Did you mention me?"
"Oh yeah of course. You know to give her a heads up if things spread around with our teammates and stuff."

Y/n just blankly stared at me.
"Christen, I know you like the back of my hand. I can obviously tell when you're lying. You haven't told her!"
"I can't. I tried, I really did!"

No I didn't.

"I want something with you but not when you're still tied to someone else. Even if your heart isn't in it with her anymore you could have the decency to at least tell her that. She deserves that much. I'm not going to continue to sit here while you still have basically a whole girlfriend. I kissed you so technically I was an accomplice in your new cheating scandal."

Well damn Y/n. Way to make me feel like shit.

"Just give me time. I will-"
"Maybe this is a bad idea, Chris. Like what are we doing? We didn't work out the first time. Things got so bad. That kiss we shared, it might've been a mistake. We can't do this. You and I, we don't work. You can't even let go of some other chick for me. And while you were gone, it made me think, what makes us think we're ready for this anyway? Some feelings that just sprouted out of the blue? Like fuck, what am I doing?"

My eyes began to fill with tears. Why is she making this such a big deal, Jesus.
"Y/n, what are you saying?"
"Maybe we're rushing into something we haven't fully thought out yet. You're in the middle of season, we'd need time to work things out and actually talk, you're too busy, I'm still sorting out my stuff with the marines. Chris, all we need to do right now is coparent. Maybe we should figure this relationship stuff out another time if it's really what we both want."

"I already told you I want you."
"I know and I- I love you, I do and I always will but, we're moving too fast. Again. You saw how that worked out last time. Maybe we should just slow our roads and get our lives- well my life together. Yours seems fine. You sort out things with Tobin and we coparent, for now at least. Don't think of this as me walking out or anything I just want to be smart about things this time around. We've both grown up, we're a bit more mature, we should be responsible I mean you don't want to end up with another surprise child? Not right now at least. So Chris lets just take a step back and-"

"Some people just never change, huh? Just go please." I wiped the few tears that ran down my face. Y/n looked upset realizing she'd hurt me yet again. What a surprise right? I mean I get it but, shouldn't she trust me enough to know that I'll end things with Tobin when the time is right? I can't just flat out break up with someone whose been here for me for the past 3 years.

. . .

It's been about a week since Y/n decided she wanted to just coparent and honestly it's been killing me. I want so much more with her.

Currently, I was at a field in Utah practicing with Tobin. Might as well continue on with her, right? Or I could be honest with her so I can get Y/n.

Sounds like a plan. But then again, Y/n is kind of over the whole idea. It might be a lost cause. "Hey Tobs we need to-"
She comes behind me megging me with the ball. I stop and groan before picking the ball up as she stood in front of me smiling like an idiot.

I noticed the ball had writing on it.

Will you be my girlfriend?

Fuck. I look up at Tobin and she stood there smiling at me.
"You told me a little while ago that you kind of wanted to have a label to us. And I told you just tell me or I'd ask you out so here I am, asking you out. So..." Tobin rocked back and forth on her heels.

Don't slap me guys...

"Yes, I will be your girlfriend Tobin."
I smiled before Tobin wraps her arms around my body giving me a quick kiss.
"I won't disappoint you, babe." Tobin whispers as I rested my chin on her shoulder.

Yeah I know. You don't have to tell me how dumb I am.

A/n: Wow I love giving you all whiplash and making you mad sometimes 😂 I'm sorry, you didn't get the ending to this chapter that you probably wanted