Part 1

I didn't want to leave him bleeding out, so I start dragging him inside. "Sir?!" He's heavier then I expected yet I still try dragging him in from the back. "Sir? Are you okay?" No response.

I press him on the back of the coffee counter and I open his shirt to try assist his wound. "Oh my goodness!" The gasp comes out louder then I expected as I stare down at open stab wound. "Towels! I need towels!"

I'm rushing to my feet to get as much paper towels as I can. "Sir?" I'm pressing the tissues against his left side. "Please don't be dead," I whisper to myself "I can't have you dying in my shop." I watch how my hands stain the same colour as his inked shirt.

"I should call the police!" I add more towels. "That should have been my first thought!" I'm shaking my head. "Come on Halcyon, start thinking straight! More, I need more towels!"

He moves. The slightest head lift and I'm frozen. "Don't..." I don't catch the rest of his phrase. Panic fills my eyes at the vast amount of blood he's loosing. Think! Think! His phone! I'm digging in his pockets for his phone but I'm very unlucky.

"Please don't die." I sniff fighting back tears. This isn't the time to cry, I need to do something and I need to do it before he bleeds out on my floor. I stand. "Don't move." I tell him "I'll be right back."

I stumble to the front and start closing up as fast as I can, I'm shutting blinds in flash speed and close the door making sure to lock it behind me. Moving back I grab the shops phone then run to him. "Sir!" I drop to my knees. "Hey sir," I take a side of his face in my hands.

"I really need to call someone," His face is beaten to the point that I can't identify him, "eleven digits, I just need eleven—" he drops and I'm going down with him trying to support his head. "Oh no!"

"No no no no no!" I check if he's still breathing, I lower my head to his chest to hear a faint beat of his heart. "I have to call the police, I can't sit here and watch you die." I lean over him picking up the phone I dropped, I start dialling but one my last one he mummers something.

"What?" I look down at his soaked side and replace the wet towels with dry ones. "What did you say?"

"One.."

"One? I-I don't understand, one what?"

"Three." I blink down at him then it hits me.

"The phone number! Oh my gosh! One three!" I end the call to dial the new number, I wait for the next number until I have eleven digits and I call. "Pick up, please pick up!" I don't know who I'm begging but I need someone right now. No one answers so I call again. "One, three, four..." I try again.

I'm holding a tight breath in my chest just listening to the other line ring and then someone picks up. "Hi! I'm so sorry to disturb you but I need your help! Please I need you to come and help me."

"Who is this?" The cold voice rings on the other line.

"I-I I'm Halcyon," I give the unknown speaker the address of the coffee shop, "someone's here and he's bleeding out fast. T-this is the first number he could remember. Please!" The line goes quiet. "Hello?!" I'm listening to nothing. "Hello.."

My eyes are to heavy to hold back so I start sobbing. "Sir?" I look back down at the bleeding gentleman. "Oh my gosh," I take in a long drag of air then stand rushing to the back and grab a box full of paper towels "stop the bleeding."

"Open your front door." I look down at the phone.

"Right." I quickly rush around the counter and almost trip over my two feet getting to the door. I fumble over the locks but finally get the door open, it rings as three men walk in. "Hi! Welcome," I shut the door behind them. "Please." I lead the way to behind the counter.

"Boss!" One of the crouches down rushing to the probably now unconscious man. "Get him up!" The order makes me jump in my skin. They rush him out. My eyes shut at their attempt in getting him up, I don't think I can stomach this.

I turn back around to see a pool of blood where the man used to be. I start moving to the gory scene and start cleaning up. The door rings announcing someone's arrival and I shoot my head up. It's one of the men.

He takes it upon himself to shut and lock the door behind him as I throw the last on the bloody towels in a bag. "Would you like some coffee sir?" It's the first thing that comes to mind, he is a customer, even under these circumstances.

He doesn't give me an answer but I go to wash my hands anyways. I'm scrubbing hard trying to get all the blood form under my fingernails. I've dreaded this moment. I wished upon the stars this wouldn't happen again, yet it did.

"Is there a certain way you like your coffee?" I'm looking around and grab two cups. I focus on trying to make the coffee for him. "Please, come sit." I gesture to the seat opposite the counter since he has yet to move.

"You're used to this." He takes a step forward.

"Yes, my father gave me the shop before he passed." I try keeping it about the shop. "Here." I put the coffee cup down and then move to open the doughnuts on display. "Help yourself," I watch him take another step "please."

I'm trying with all my might not to shake but I just can't help it. "Excuse me." I step back and go to grab the mop. I need to get rid of all the blood. In hopes that he's drinking, I mob and wipe everything down. Everywhere that I touched. Everything.