Part 55

Tamir's POV.

The more I move to her the more concern waters her eyes. It's not like me to stay this long here, and she clearly knows it and wants a few answers.

Once close enough I pick her up before sitting and cradling her in my arms, she leans her head on my chest as I pull both her legs closer to me.

"Someone's trying to get a hold of all your files," I break the silence, "from medical to even dental, I don't know why but it's starting to piss me off. I'm working on shutting them down but there's no saying they don't know your schedule by now.

"Hence why we are still here. It's also unknown who wants so much information about you but I'm working on protecting that. I believe it has everything to do with me and nothing to do with you.

"Somebody knows you're more then just a pretend girlfriend to me and probably want to take you as leverage. I'm not going to let that happen. Nothing's going to happen to you okay? It's a promise I'll stick by."

"So what now?"

"I want you to official join my mafia," at that she sits up to face me.

"What.." it comes out softly. "I don't think I'm acquit to join anyone's mafia...let alone yours-not that there's anything wrong with your mafia!" She adds.

"It's just a test you have to pass." I tell her going to tuck lose hair behind her ears. "Just one stupid test and I can..." marry you-I stop myself before I can finish that sentence, what is wrong with me?!

"So you can??" She's caught onto me.

"Protect you." I twist her hair around my finger.

"What if I don't pass? What then?"

"You'll pass." There's no room for her not to pass. I've had a lover before her, I wanted so desperately for her to pass but she didn't, she paid with her life. Losing Halcyon will be the end of me.

"But what if I don't," I meet her eyes, "you won't even tell me what this test is, I can't prepare for it. What if by any chance I can't do it? What if I'm not enough, what happens if I don't pass?" She goes silent for a second. "Has anyone actually passed?"

"Each of our partners go through this test, your were at the meeting weren't you? There's your proof."

"I don't want to join your mafia." She doesn't want to do the test.

"You'll be fine." I lean in putting our lips together, anything to distract her. "You should probably schedule that double date you wanted to do, I'll be going abroad for another meeting in the near future."

"How near?"

"Thirteenth."

"Okay..." her eyes drop to my chest, calculating. "That's like a month away. I'll ask her about it." My eyes stick to her knees as I draw circle on her skin. I feel her hand run up the back of my neck and she massage my nape before tangling her fingers in my hair. "So...you love me?"

I watch her smile. Even before I office met her, I've seen her around and knew that she was just going to impact my life, good or bad. Till this day, after everything I've put her through, she still smiles at me. Like the first time.

"Why'd you have to sound so smug about it?" I meet her eyes effortlessly.

"It's not something you would say," she leans into me placing her hand on my chest.

"You know me so well now do you?"

"I know enough," the pink of her lips hang in my face, tempting me. "Say it again," my eyes shift to hers, "without all the angry screaming." I laugh looking away making her join me. "Please?"

"And it'll make you happy?" My blood runs cold, convincing me my heart stopped beating. She nods. I fill my chest with air before letting it out. "I love you Halcyon...everting about you."

"Awww," she grabs my cheeks, "you're blushing!"

"I'm not blushing." I avoid her eyes.

"Yes you are!" She giggles before returning to resting her head on my chest. "Does this mean...does this mean I can say it back now?" I fix my eyes on the shelf opposite us and frown a little, what does she mean by that?

"I don't want to scare you off, so I don't...I don't know if it's okay." I chuckle to myself.

"Oh sweetheart, it's going to take more then three words to scare me off."

"Okay," she nods. Her hands work their way around me bring me closer as she snuggles in. "I've lost everything I've loved. I only have you and Kate now, I won't be jinxing it will I?"

"I don't think that's how it works."

"But that's how a jinx works, I tell you I love you and then I...lose it all." She seems pretty convinced. I hold her closer. So I'm not the only one that's afraid.

"You're exhausted," I rub her skin.

"You always do this you know," sleep mixes in her tone, "you say things. Make decisions for me, try to tell me how I feel. Sometimes you're right, other times I just...hate it." I recall last night.

I'll do better. The words sound so ridiculous at this point I just don't respond. I let her sleep in my arms, with the soft of her breathing as a lullaby I fall into myself.

I jump awake at the sound of clashing plates. "Halcyon." She's no longer in my arms, I get up making my way out the office. The closer I get the more I hear mumbling of voices, I step in view to see five of my men including Kent, being served by her.

The first to spot me is Kent. I nod him over. "Who let you in?"

"She did sir. I called and she picked up, insisted we come through the back and even gave me a specific code to knock. Told us you were asleep and that rest was also required for the boss."

"Okay," I wave him off. I have no number saved, only her's, meaning she clearly recognized his number. I move back into the office, sit back down, then run my hands through the front of my hair.

Truth is, I'm the one that's exhausted.