Part 7

My brother was 27 when he died. His death wasn't instant, he was actually in a comma for ten months before I just gave up on him.

The night of the news I remember it like it was yesterday. I was doing a coffee shift like I usually do and then I get a phone call on the shops phone. "Is this Miss Chong?" The speaker asked.

"Yes this is she." I replied.

"We have your brother at the Central Hospital, I think it's best if you come down here." At those words I felt my smile die, I couldn't feel my feet and the world around me went white.

I dropped everything and ran. It's a forty minute walk form here to the hospital, I ran there. Wet tears stained my cheeks but all I could think about it getting to my bother, we already lost our parents and I couldn't lose him. I can't lose more family.

He died because of a dent in his skull which he got form boxing but didn't tell anyone. I was told that before a match he just dropped bouncing his head on the floor making the situation worse.

I thought I had cried myself dry but even know I feel the tears overwhelm me. I hang up almost throwing my phone but instead I storm to my closet grabbing black jeans and a hoodie then grab my keys and leave.

This trick used to work for me, I used to go out whenever I feel like I'm about to drown into my feelings but this time around it's not working. I don't dare look up afraid my heavy eyes will shed.

I take the stairs down form my apartment complex then step out into the warm air, at least it's not hot out. I blink and am I quick to wipe the tears off my face. "I'm fine." I tell myself tucking hair behind my ear, "I'm fine." I breath out.

I let my legs take my away not even thinking about my destination. I don't want to dwell in my own pity so my mind travels to Tamir. Ever since the first day he entered the shop I haven't been able to ignore his existence.

He waited hours for me to be free so we can have a thirty minute conversation and now every weekday at six he's always there. But I also have to remind myself of that night I first met Kent.

If Tamir had anything to do with the bleeding man I tried to help I need to stay away form him, trouble won't get me anywhere. Even though it was smart of me not to ask any questions I still wonder what happened to that man.

Did he make it? Or did he bleed out on his way to get help? Maybe I was too late in getting help? How did he even end up bumped behind my shop?

The buzz of cars start to ring in my ears and I look up to see I've made it into the city, more specifically in front of the same hospital I lost both parents and my brother. Everything about breathing feels wrong, my heart explodes and I feel the shards dig deep into my lungs.

Unwillingly I'm sobbing while looking up at the towering building. I sit on a bench letting myself feel for a change. It's been two years, I should be over this. I lost him two years ago. I dig my palms into my eyes.

The next thing I know Kate will be next to leave and I'll be alone in this world. I'll have no one, no one will remember me, my only family won't come to my funeral. I'll be alone, just like I am now.

"Excuse me." I look up at the voice. "Are you okay?"

"Yes," I nod wiping my face. "I'm sorry, I'm okay." The woman is about the same age as me, if not younger.

"You don't look okay." She's moving a little closer to me.

"No I'm fine." I want her to go away. "I just need some alone time." She watches me carefully and it's clear she doesn't want to leave me alone, I try smiling but drop my gaze. Way to go Halcyon.

"Do you live around here? I can make sure you get home safely."

"No honestly, I'm fine." I shake my head. She nods and I watch her take a few steps backwards before I'm watching her walk away form me. Her dark coat almost blends with the darkness around me and she gets into a black car.

I stand to distance myself away from her and go deeper into the city, just to make sure I'm not followed I look behind my shoulder to see the coast is clear.

At least the city never sleeps. Even though their's not as much people roaming around in the streets and the cars are limited, everything is still lit up and shining. This shows that life still runs in the city. No matter how many we lose, there's bound to be someone else waiting for us.

I start to notice the city lights themselves start to disappear so I turn ready to go back home. Instead I hear muffling sound and I turn myself towards the alleyway. It's hidden behind shadows but I can still make out a few figures under the flickering streetlight.

"So where'd you put it?" One says, I can't seem to make their faces since they all have their back to me.

"Please," it's a begging cry "I don't have it anymore-ugh!" An impact interrupts him mid sentence and I listen to him whimper.

"I don't like your answer." The same voice says.

"They took it! All the money is gone! I don't have anything left!!" The begging man is rushing his words out and then in a swift movement I see a figure go into his side and something is drawn. "Please."

Bang!

I jump in my own skin and all their heads turn to me. I clap my hand around my mouth. I screamed. With all my might I try looking away from the fallen body but the poor man just lays there.

Then, I meet dark eyes. Dark eyes I recognize, the same eyes that sit in my coffee shop at six every weekday. "Take her!" The order is barked but I feel my spirit leave my body and I'm racing after it.