Part 46

He doesn't take me home, instead he takes me back to his place. He sends me off to Kent who leads me back to my room where I can change into something more comfortable. I settle on something oversized with shorts I found.

I regret not bringing my laptop to post in our monthly deliveries, I could always move that to tomorrow but I'm going to be really overworked.

There isn't a harm in asking, is there? Maybe I could run it up with Tamir when I see him and ask if it okay on his part so I'm not breaking any rules here.

When I take it up with him, he tells me I might as well pack a backpack for the weekends at his, I agree, at this point anyways.

We spend most of our time on the couch, I take advantage of the chance a little prying a little more information and telling him more about myself, he tangles my legs around him as I do so and I play with our hands.

When I'm dropped off, I start on the work that I was missing out, I have an opening shift first thing so I can't stay up late but I still try to get as much done as possible.

He comes to the coffee shop, at six, like usual. It's not until the middle of the week do I get an unexpected call. Now usually I don't answer unsaved numbers but this number I know. "Hello?"

"Hello Halcyon, it's Amy, your rehab councillor." A woman's voice I recognized says.

"Oh, yes. How can I help you?" My blood boils in my skin and I drop what I was doing.

"We're here for a check up, just to see how you're doing with everything, we've tried your door it seem you're not home?"

"No, I'm working." A check up? Why would I need a check up? I start untying my apron. "Do you need me to come this instant?"

"Yes. I know it's random but that's the whole point of it, we'll be here."

"Oh okay." I nod then hand up. I move to my office dropping my apron on the chair then reach for my bag, I then move to clock out. "I have to go," I place the keys in front of Ethan, an employee. "I know it's last minute but please lock up.

"No worries." He smiles at me and I return the favour. I start to leave waving a few customers goodbye as I do so then open the door letting some in. I step out turning to see Tamir.

Great. He gives me a skeptic look before stepping forward. "Going somewhere?"

"I need to go home," I step down "I have unexpected visitors." I meet him at the bottom.

"Who?" His eyes search mine.

"No one." I shake my head. "Just go in," I step back away from him. "I'll be back as soon as I can."

"No," he steps to me. "How about you look me in the eye and tell me why you're leaving?" I can't, I don't want him to know just how bad it was for me.

"It's nothing Tamir," I turn walking off.

"I'm coming with you then, since it's nothing."

"No!" I rush my answer out turning to him. "I don't...I don't want you to come." My heart pumps the shame throughout my body.

"I'm coming."

"No you're not."

"Try stopping me."

"Tamir please," he walks past me and doesn't stop. "You're not being fair!" I follow him, then start to dish reasons out. "I'm not cheating on you, this has nothing to do with you." He still doesn't stop. "Seriously," I move faster. "It's nothing."

His mother was an alcoholic, he doesn't need this from me, yet he just won't stop. I remember him accusing me of keeping my skeletons nice and tucked in my closet, well this is it. My past addiction is my biggest skeleton and he's just going to rip me open.

We reach my apartment and he opens the door for me, I meet his eyes but he shows no sign of remorse, he's going in with me for sure now.

We make it upstairs to find Amy there, she's still as I remember, redhead woman with short tight curls, she's still unhealthily slim and this time she has someone with her. A tall blonde woman, she looks like the type to work out and her hair is in a tight bun.

"Halcyon," Amy smiles at me, "it's good to see you." I wish I could say they same, I hate everything about this, especially the fact that Tamir is here.

"I'll open up for you guys," I take my key out and unlock the door and invite them in.

"I hope you don't mind, May here is a trainee, she's just here to observe, she won't say much." Amy explains.

"That's fine," I shut the door behind. "This is my boyfriend Tamir, Tamir," I turn to him, "this is one of the rehab instructors Amy."

"Nice to meet you," she extends a hand to Tamir and he shakes it.

"Likewise," he nods and I try not to show my annoyance.

"Here," I move to the sitting area, "make yourself comfortable." I gesture to the sofa and they go around to sit and I take a seat on the couch near them with Tamir besides me.

"Okay, so it's just a few questions, a quick check around and I'll be out your hair." She smiles at me, I couldn't force one back even if I tried so I just nod. "I know I pulled you out of your work, I apologize about that, how is that going for you?"

"Good, I run the shop now." I tell her.

"Oh that's great news, I know how stressful that can be, how do you deal with the stress now?"

"I bake."

"How convenient, a good benefit." She nods to me. "And how have you been?"

"Good," I start to turn the bracelet on my wrist. "I haven't been around alcohol if that's what you're asking." I hate this. Just having her here reminds me of my relapses. "No temptations, nothing."

"That's good to hear." I drop my eyes. "What about your friends?"

"I only have Kate now." I talk to my wrist. "Her and Tamir."

"Is it okay if we ask him a few questions?" I nod, he did drag himself here, even if I didn't want him to come. "I don't know how much you know but have you noticed any slip ups with Halcyon? Does she talk to you about that?"

"She mentioned it vaguely, but no she hasn't slipped up. I don't believe she will," my heart flutters a little.

"Have you noticed any alcohol around the house? Anything she tries to shove out your vision when you're around?"

"No." I feel his gaze on me. "Why would she have to do that? She knows what she can and can't drink she doesn't need me trialing around her." I pick up the irritation in his tone.

"I understand that sir, but Halcyon here has quite the history of relapse, I just want to be assured she's going strong."

"She's doing just fine." He defends me.

"And do you drink around her?"

"No." Silence falls and I assume she's nodding. I remember him keeping his distance from me that one time he was drinking, and how he let me go just because he wanted to drink.