Part 28

I make it fast. I walk out then past him and back into the bathroom. That wasn't so bad. I tell myself because it actually wasn't, I just had to fight the butterflies in my stomach.

I put the necklace back on before stashing the clothes I took off into the laundry then make my way back to Tamir, in the kitchen. I observe from a far how he turns the stove off and has a soup ladle ready to stir, did he go through all my draws?

I freeze at him catching me staring, now it's his turn to observe me, his eyes working down then up my body. I move in to cut his observation short. I pull a stool out and sit opposite him.

"Somebody went through the trouble of making this for you," I watch his hands grab a bowl, I can't make out if the bowl is small or if he just has big hands, "you should eat it."

"I know..." I remember the vague memory of Kate coming over to cure me, as she put it. "But I'm not very hungry."

"Here," he puts the bowl out in front of me like he didn't hear a word I just said, then hands me a spoon.

"Thank you." I mumble taking it then my eyes drop down to the orange soup. Kate did go through all that trouble to cook for me, it's the least I could do.

Next to me a bowl I soup down filled with the same orange soup and I look up Tamir working his way around before he pulls a stool out and sits. "You don't have to eat with me." I remember Kate's words. "Kate's not so talented in the kitchen."

"Don't flatter yourself sweetheart," he picks the spoon up, "I haven't ate yet. That's all there is to it." He takes a spoonful and blows on it before taking it down.

"Right," I nod tucking hair behind my ear. "That's my bad for assuming." I take a spoonful myself and blow before taking it down. Although it's hot and I know it'll make me feel better, it hurts swallowing.

We continue to eat in silence with me struggling to swallow and stealing glances over at Tamir to see if he's noticed. Half way through I'm very much satisfied with how much I've ate and my throat can't take anymore.

"My throat hurts when I swallow this," I admit out loud dropping my spoon.

"You're half way, finish it." I look down at his words to his bowl, he's done. Of course he's done! His throat isn't the one desperate for a break!

I pick my spoon back up taking the rest down, Kate would have totally let me off the hook with that one. Damn. To take my mind off of him, I take both our bowls going to wash them. "Do you regret meeting me?" The sudden question makes me almost drop the bowl I was scrubbing.

"What?" I pick my head up, he doesn't repeat his question for me. "No," I shake my head. "I couldn't never regret saving your life." He doesn't respond and I finish to start the second bowl. "Do you...do you regret meeting me?" I don't look up for an answer.

"No." The word takes a weight off my shoulder that I didn't even know I had. I finish the small dishes then wipe my hands dry. "I thought you disappeared from the face of earth today," his tone wavers with concern but when I meet his eyes I see none of it. "I thought you just left."

"You sound worried." It comes out more like a question.

"Why does that surprise you?" Oh I don't know...maybe because you threw be across my own apartment?!

"I..." don't have an answer for him. I clear my throat. "I'll give you a heads up next time, so I don't worry you." I quickly add.

"You've been cooped up in here all day, you should get some fresh air before you go back to sleep." Is he hinting on a walk?

"As in go outside?"

"Ideally." He says it as if it's the most obvious thing, it probably is. "Do you not have a balcony?" I look out behind him into the night.

"No..." I drop my eyes. "I didn't want an apartment with a balcony, for personal reasons." He doesn't respond and for once I'm very grateful, I move around and make my way to the windows, even though he closed them they're still not locked. "I'll go out when I'm feeling a little better." I hold in my upcoming cough.

Once done I move to my covers on the couch. "Take this," he stands moving to me, "I came earlier and heard your coughs so I came back later." He uncaps the bottle and pours it in the cap before handing it to me. "It's a syrup thing."

"A syrup thing?" I grin up at him taking it then take it down like it's a shot, I reach out to give the cap back but he just pours me another. I take it down with the same struggle. "Thank you." He takes the cap.

"Yeah." He twists it closed and I get in tucking myself in. "Are you going to make it till tomorrow?"

"Yeah," I chuckle to myself, "I think I'll make it till tomorrow."

"Okay then," he turns then picks up his tux that camouflaged so well in the shadows.

"Wait!" I sit up. "You're leaving?!" I don't want him to go, not yet.

"Yes." He puts his tux on. "I don't have to remind you of my job," my heart drops, how can I forget? "I need to keep on top of things."

"Oh." I need to try understand. "Okay."

His eyes wait for more of an answer but I can't form anymore words. I nod my understanding watching him take a few steps away. I proceed to stand and make my way to him, I don't know how light my feet are but when I reach out grabbing his hand he seems surprised.

"Thank you." He might not realize it but I do. He just took care of me, in his own way. "Thank you for coming." I keep my eyes on my feet as I pull him to me and wrap my arms around his waist in a hug.

I press my head on his chest holding on a little tighter then I should before letting go, his arms stay limp at his side and just as I pick my head up he turns to leave.

I don't care if only I hugged him, we both needed it.