Styrofoam cup

It was a weird habit you had.
It never crossed my mind as ordinary but since it was you who possessed this strange aroma I couldn't define it as unordinary.
Each day you would come in and set your seven eleven cup half on the coaster, half off. You knew it bothered me but each time I tried to correct you, you'd secretly slide it back to where it originally set. My OCD always kicked in and I'd always yell. You were so good at keeping me calm that I had no other choice but to drop the argument because in all reality, it was just a styrofoam cup.

The day you left everything broke inside of me. I couldn't decipher what was still alive or what was already dead. I could walk inside the bathroom and smell the sweet yet musty smell of your showers. Each time I set down to watch tv I would hear your voice in the back of my head arguing with me over my movie selections. With every second that keeps ticking away, I'd find something of you left in my apartment and then I thought I could just run.

So that's what I did.

Moving vans came and went until finally I was settled in. A cozy complex just shy of town that made my heart race at the thought. It couldn't have given off a better homey vibe until the night I returned from the convenient store down the road with a bag of salt & vinegar chips and a large cup of dr. Pepper. I went to place it on the coaster and that's when I realized it was half on and half off.

In all honesty, it was just a styrofoam cup.

But to me it was the three words from you the night you said you almost said you loved me

I could have chose to play by your rules, but then I wouldn't get to say I told you so.

I moved the cup and put it back on the coaster.

________
It's not an imagine. It's a poem of yours and Austin's breakup. If you don't get it, I'm sorry. But to me this small story tells a hundred big ones. Comment your ideas! I love feedback. Nothing negative please 😶