Together with the Sundown

I sit and wait...

I'm just waiting. There's a hollowed echo in the alley and a creaking from the old door on the run down business beside me. Austin, where are you? You promised me you'd be here at 6.

I look down and check my phone once again. I reread his last message to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

"I'll see you at our spot at 6. Make sure you dress nice."

Dogs run past me and then one, in particular, captures my eyes. 

It was fox... That meant Alex was here.... 

I scramble to my feet and follow the hyper tail in front of me. A couple turns and then I'm left near a vacant store. Fox travels inside and I notice the vacant store wasn't so vacant. Inside there was a brown-haired boy singing into a steep black microphone hanging in front of him behind a glass wall. His voice starts off slow and steady and I realize he's singing one of my favorite songs.

"I don't even know

I've never felt this way before

No, it's someone like you

That makes sense"

The rhythm of his voice soothes and he begins to feel the movement of the song. I walk in and Alex turns around with the shuffle of my shoes. He smiles and crosses his arms and turns back to Austin.

"And I don't wanna go

I'll stay with you forever

As long as you love me, too

Just as long as you love me, too"

I watch as Austin smiles and closes his eyes, putting his heart into the next part.

"It's the way that you talk

And the way that you smile

And the way that you love in black and white

Baby, it's the way you hold my hand in the car

And the way that we lie in the sand"

His voice fades as I notice Alex has turned down the sound on the controls in front of him.

"You know, you're not supposed to be here?" He says watching Austin.

"Why's that?" I ask as I finally walk up to him.

"He's recording that song for you for your anniversary," He remarks as he leans back, smiling at me for a second then turns back around.

"Oh really?" I ask an excited voice. Alex looks back at me once again and raises his eyebrow. I laugh to myself and he catches me.

"He loves you," he tells me, sliding headphones on his head to go back to listen to Austin. 

"I know..." I whisper out loud. I look down and realize just how cute my boyfriend is. How'd I get so lucky?

Alex takes off the headphones and hands them to me suddenly. 

"I'll be back," he says before stepping out the door and grabbing Fox, taking him with him. I turn around to the glass and put the headphones on my ears. There's a long stretch in music then I hear the soothing voice I love.

"It's the way that you talk

And the way that you smile

And the way that you love in black white

Baby, it's the way you hold my hand in the car

And the way that we lie in the sand

And we watch the sun go down"

He stalls out on the last note just like Stephen did the night he performed it live for my birthday two years ago. He knows that it drives me insane because it makes it sound like the musician literally pours out his whole heart and is putting it directly in that last note to prove his love and affection.

Austin grips his fists and then comes closer to the mike.

"Okay, ummm... Hey Baby, so probably at this point you're used to a girl coming on here to confess her love for a guy but I'm not the girl and I'm not confessing my love to a guy. Except I kind of am right now because Alex is helping me"

He pauses and throws his thumb up in the air as if to gesture to Alex. 

"Anyways, my point. (Y/N), I've loved you a long time and I'm a lucky guy because somehow I stole your heart, or well, I hope I did. Cause if I didn't then I don't know how you put up with me. Just like this song says, I love the way that you talk and the way that you smile. I love the way that you love black and white. I love the way that you hold my hand in the car, but most importantly, I love the way that you love me. Happy anniversary sweetheart. I love you" 

He steps to the side and hits stop to stop recording.

"Did that suck?" he asks thinking Alex is still here. I hesitate but then hit the button and speak

"Not to me" He spins around and looks at me.

"(Y/N)..." He smiles.

"Hi" I hastily answer.

"You weren't supposed to hear that" He nervously lets out and removes his headphones. He steps forward and opens the door to where I was.

 I step forward and compress onto him not giving him a chance to talk. He acts shocked but holds me tight. I pull back and move my right hand to the side of his face and pull on the little curls on his neck.

"But I'm glad you did"

"Yeah, I am to" I add before leaning up and pressing his lips to mine. With every time we interlock, I grow a little more with the passion of how much I need him. He doesn't reject and he doesn't hesitate so I know he feels the same. 

"Happy anniversary" I let out.

"Happy anniversary, baby," he says and leans to the side, pecking my cheek. I couldn't have asked for a better one. I know with Austin, anything's possible.

"Come on" he says taking my arm.

"Where are we going?" I ask suspenseful.

"I'm not just going to sing Together with the Sun Down. We're going to have the actual anniversary I planned."

I laugh as he pulls me along. After a long drive, we pull up to Venice beach. The sun was setting low and the salt in the air pressed against my skin as I got out of his car. He gathered a basket out of the back and walked down to the shoreline. I leaned against the car and watch him. He lays a blanket out and sits down. Waves crash against the shore and it comes close to his feet but then withdraws and extends back into the water. He turns his head towards me then says "Are you coming or not?"

"Oh... sorry," I say as I realize I look like an idiot just standing there. He laughs to himself as I sit down next to him. "Don't be" he finally says as he swings his arm around my shoulder. For a while, after that, we just lie there and take in each other. He played the song he just recorded as the sun went down. Every aspect and every little thing fit perfect. Everything was just perfect. As it grew pitch black around us he hugged me close. I feel so warm and secure and I never want this to end.

"I love you, (Y/N)"

"I love you too, Ausitn"