Chapter 21: Island Challenge - Akala Island Part I

Hello all you fantabulous readers! Well its finally here! The Akala Island Challenge arc is finally starting! I've got big plans for it and I'm so excited for the end of it, cause what I've got planned is something I don't think has happened in a lot of fanfics. So I hope you all enjoy the next major arc of Our Promise, Our Future.

As the day began outside, so did the residents of the Kukui household. Ash and Serena were already showered and had food in their stomachs, thanks to Burnet. Ash and Serena were gathering all their supplies for their time on Akala Island as Kukui went out to get the boat ready. With everything packed, the two recalled most of their Pokemon, only leaving the two Pokemon couples and Vulpix, who secured her spot in Serena's arms. As they started to walk out the door, they turned to Burnet.

"Well, we're off now" Ash said.

"Good luck you two, I'll be cheering you on from here Ash" Burnet said with a smile.

Ash nodded. The group left the house and started making their way toward the harbor in Hau'oli City, where Kukui told them to meet them. As they were walking, they were discussing ideas on what to do once they got there.

"According to the information I've gathered, there's 3 trials on Akala Island. The first one is located in Brooklet Hill and contains the Water Type Z-Crystal. The next one is located in Wela Volcano Park and contains the Fire Type Z-Crystal. The third one is located in Lush Jungle and contains the Grass Type Z-Crystal" Serena explained.

"Wow Serena, I had no idea you gathered this much information" Ash said with surprise.

Serena confidently smirked with her eyes closed. "Well I have to make sure my amazing boyfriend does well in his trials."

Ash chuckled at her action. Ash decided to thank her be doing something she didn't expect. He kissed the side of her head as he ran his fingers through the other side. Serena started to shake at his sudden display of affection.

"A-A-Ash?! W-What are you d-doing?!"

He leaned in a whispered in her ear. "Making sure my amazing girlfriend knows how much she's loved."

Serena was in full blushing mode. She was still getting used to Ash's more bold ways of showing her affection. Luckily she had her secret weapon ready.

"Well you're doing good so far..Ashy" she said playfully.

Like always, Ash blushed at his new nickname. Serena noticed this and laughed.

"Works every time" Serena said.

Ash just sighed. The two continued to walk, the other couples following close behind. Pikachu and Sylveon were chatting with each other, however Greninja and Delphox walked in silence. Greninja was silent due to getting mentally prepared for their next battle, but Delphox was silent for a different reason. Her mind kept going back to that day, flashes of seeing Greninja's bloody arm and Serena covered in burn marks. She couldn't fathom why it happened the way it did. She had overreacted, and went into a fiery rage that ended up hurting Serena. She clenched her fists as the memory kept repeating in her mind. Greninja finally noticed her state and spoke up.

"Hey Delphox, you alright?"

Delphox snapped out of her thoughts. She looked at Greninja and smiled.

"S-Sorry about that, was just thinking."

"About what?"

"Nothing mu--"

"Don't lie" Greninja said, cutting her off. She was taken aback by this. She gave in and sighed.

"I'm just...I'm worried that what happened during the first trial will happen again. I overreacted and I ended up...h-hurting Serena..." she said as tears started to build up at the mention of her trainer.