Chapter 49: Island Challenge - Poni Island Part I

Hello all! Sorry this took so long to get out. But it's surprising isn't it? We're finally at the last island! After this will begin the final story arc of Alola! But gotta get through Poni Island first. For this Island Challenge things are gonna kinda be all over the place. It'll be a mixture of anime canon, game canon and my original writing. So enjoy the first part of the final Island Challenge arc!

Ash was gathering up the last of his things to bring to Poni Island, the final island of the island challenge.

"It's finally time!" Ash said excitedly.

After checking for the last time, he put on his new red hat and his Kalos fingerless gloves. He made his way down the ladder and was met by Pikachu. Pikachu saw him and nuzzled his cheek.

"You ready to rock Pikachu?"

"I am so ready!" He said with excitement.

Burnet came in from the kitchen.

"You two are pretty lively this morning" she said with a smile.

Ash turned to her. "Yup! We're finally gonna beat the last island!" He declared with a fist, Pikachu mimicking him.

Burnet chuckled. "I'm sure you will."

That's when Ash realized something. "Hey Professor, have you seen Serena?"

"She's in the bathroom getting ready" Burnet answered.

Ash nodded. "We'll just wait for her outside then."

Ash and Pikachu went out to the porch. When they got there, they saw Greninja leaning against the railing, looking deep in thought.

"Hey Greninja."

Greninja turned to look at him. "Oh hey Ash, what's up?"

Ash joined him and took a spot right next to him.

"Not much, just waiting for Serena to finish in the bathroom."

"Alright. I think Delphox is with her too if I remember correctly."

The two faced the ocean again.

"Hard to believe we've made it to the last island" Ash said.

Greninja just nodded. Ash continued.

"And with a new year, comes new possibilities too."

Christmas has come and gone, and Alola has entered the month of January. Although the temperature hasn't changed much.

"I'm surprised you've only now decided to go to the last island" Greninja said.

"What do you mean?" Ash asked.

"Well you and Serena had been playing that video game nonstop since you got it for her" Greninja said.

Ash scratched the back of his head.

"What can I say, it's a fun game. Me and Serena are already almost done completing the Season 1 Battle Pass."

"It was funny watching Delphox and Greninja struggling to play" Pikachu teased.

"Webbed hands genius" Greninja said holding his webbed hand up.

Ash chuckled. He decided to change the subject.

"Are you ready for this too Greninja?"

Greninja looked forward again.

"Yeah..."

Ash could tell something was bothering him.

"Are you really ready Greninja?"

Greninja looked at him with confusion. "What do you mean?"