Chapter 53: Alola League Part III - A Rocky Rematch

Hello again! Part III of the Alola League is finally here! This chapter will be Ash vs Gladion. If you're wondering why these two are battling in the semifinals and not in the finals like in the anime, well cause it's my story and I can do what I want (hope that doesn't sound aggressive). Anyway, enjoy the chapter!

It was still dark out when Ash's eyes shot open, letting out a quiet gasp. He started to breathe faster before calming himself down.

'Great...another nightmare...'

He let out a deep sigh. He stealthy got out of bed without waking Serena. He decided to get some fresh air. Fortunately their room had access to a balcony, so Ash walked up to the door and silently slid it open and closed it once he was outside. After a couple minutes he heard the door slid open again.

"Sorry Serena, I didn't mean to—" he said before he saw who it really was.

"Sorry, I'm not Serena" Greninja said.

Ash chuckled. He shifted to the side so Greninja could stand next to him. After getting comfortable, Greninja spoke again.

"Let me guess, another nightmare?"

Ash sighed. "Yeah. But luckily I don't have them every night anymore, now it's pretty much every other night..." Ash looked down with sadness. "Sometimes I feel like the whole thing was just one big dream, and when I wake up again in the morning I'll see my mom in the stands cheering me on..."

Greninja placed a webbed hand on his shoulder. "Don't worry Ash, she'll still be there, even though we won't be able to see her I know she'll be there."

Ash felt a little better. He did feel Greninja has changed a little too.

"Hey Greninja, can I ask you something?"

"Sure, what's up?"

"When we found you and Delphox after Serena's trial, you started acting differently. What exactly happened?"

Greninja was caught off guard by this. He didn't know what to say at first. He decided he's held it in long enough.

"While we were waiting for you guys to come back, there was this weird mist that suddenly appeared, and I felt like it was calling me. I rushed in without thinking, and before I knew it I was deep inside the mist. Everything seemed fine at first but then..."

"What?"

"I saw someone..."

"Who? Delphox?"

Greninja shook his head. "I saw my mother."

Ash was completely shocked. "You...you saw your mother?! But I thought you said she was..."

"She is. I don't know how or why but, it was her. I know it was..." Greninja turned his head to Ash. "And I finally figured out the source of my power...her."

Ash was surprised but still smiled. "Moms seem to give us strength huh?"

Greninja chuckled. "I suppose so."

There was silence after that. The two enjoyed the peaceful night for a little bit longer.

"Hey, Ash? Can I ask you something now?"

"Of course."

"Going back to moms...what do you see Professor Burnet as?" He asked.

Ash was very surprised to be asked that. He said nothing at first. He tried to formulate an answer.

"I..."

Before he could finish, the slide door opened again, revealing Serena and Delphox.

"There you two boys are, we were getting worried" Serena said.