Chapter 22: Island Challenge - Akala Island Part II

Part II of Akala Island Challenge arc starts now!

Everything was black, nothing could be seen. Suddenly voices started to be heard.

"Why are you pushing him so hard? For Arceus sake, he's not even a week old!"

"When I was his age I was already deep into hard training, as was my father!"

"He's not you! And he sure as hell isn't your father!"

"Well I am his and I'll decide what is best for him, not you!"

"Not me?! I'm his damn mother!"

Suddenly silhouettes of two figures appeared, both facing the same direction. One of them started to walk closer.

"Hey! Boy! Get to training right now!"

Silence. The silhouette looked angrier as it got closer.

"Did you not hear me?! I said now!"

"Don't hurt him!"

The silhouette readied its arm and swung it. Heavy breathing erupted from his mouth as he shot up from his bed. He looked around the room to see the others asleep, the two silhouettes gone. He sighed heavily.

'Just a dream...'

He silently got up, careful not to wake his sound asleep girlfriend who still had a bag next to her. He looked over towards the other bed, his trainer and girlfriend seemingly asleep. He decided to get some fresh air. Walking through the halls, he eventually made it to the patio where Ash and Serena were earlier. He leaned forward on the railing, looking at the volcano in the distance that housed Ash's next trial.

'Of all the things it could've been...why did it have to be that...?'

"Greninja?"

Greninja shot his head back, and saw Ash walking up to him.

'Hey Ash, I thought you were asleep.'

Ash chuckled. 'If only it was that easy.'

Greninja shifted a little to the side for Ash to stand next to him. The two remained in momentary silence, most likely to gather their thoughts.

'Do you think its kinda weird that they'd have a trial that takes place on a literal volcano?' Ash thought.

'Well it is a fire type trial, so its not like it would be in a hot spring' Greninja thought back.

'True. Although that does sound kinda nice now that I think about it.'

'I suppose so.'

There was another brief silence. Ash decided to address the real issue.

'I saw you wake up.'

Greninja shot his head towards Ash with surprise. Ash was looking at him with concern.

'You had some kind of nightmare didn't you?'

Greninja looked away, his eyes full of sadness.

'You wanna talk about it?'

Greninja was silent. Before Ash could say it was fine if he didn't, Greninja spoke up.

'Last night I...I heard what you and Serena were talking about, and I couldn't get it out of my head...'

Ash was a little surprised to hear this. He suddenly went wide eyed and beat red.

'I-It wasn't t-that bad right? I did mean what I said!'