Chapter 38: Island Challenge - Ula Ula Island Part III

Hello once again! I've returned with part III of the Ula Ula Island Challenge arc! This chapter will once again focus more on Serena, but will also include more Duetshipping, which I guess is the ship name for Decidueye and Primarina (Brionne right now). I always planned to ship Ash's Rowlet/Dartrix/Decidueye with Serena's Popplio/Brionne/Primarina, but I wanted it to develop differently than Iconshipping and Insectivoreshipping, as those two just happened so quickly (read one-shot for proof). Well anyways, enjoy the chapter!

It was yet another morning for the group. Everyone got out of bed and did their morning routines. After finishing breakfast and recalling most of their Pokemon, the group left the Pokemon Center. They decided to find Acerola and ask if she knew any trials Serena could do. They remember her mentioning she lives in a white colored house north of Tapu Village. After a little bit of walking they make it to the house. Ash knocks on the door and after a few minutes, the door opens and Acerola comes into view.

"Oh! Well if it isn't Ash and Serena! What brings you guys to my domain?"

"Hi Acerola. Um, we were wondering if you knew any other trial sites on the island" Ash asked.

"Looking for more to do? The Kahuna doesn't care how many trials someone does here, you can just go and challenge them now" Acerola said.

Serena stepped forward. "Actually, I want to do an Island trial."

Acerola was surprised to hear that. She put a finger to her chin.

"Hmm...there are a few other ones that are available to challenge. There's the Electric trial, the Ice trial, and the Steel trial."

"Which one is the closest?" Ash asked.

"I believe it's the Ice trial. It's located on Mt. Lanakila, which is just a little north of here."

Ash turned to Serena. "Well Serena? Do you want to do the Ice trial?"

Serena nodded her head. "Sure, that's fine with me."

"I'll set a marker for the location-roto" Rotom said.

Acerola did another twirl. "Well then I wish you good luck."

"Kyu Kyu" Acerola's Mimikyu squeaked.

"Thanks Acerola. Oh, and thanks again for the warning about the apparitions thing, that totem Mimikyu nearly fooled me" Ash said as he and Serena walked away.

Acerola was waving until she stopped and looked at him with confusion.

"It did that?" Ash and Serena didn't answer, as they were already out of earshot. Acerola looked at her Mimikyu. "But, the Totem Mimikyu can't make apparitions..."

Ash and Serena continued their hike towards the trial. They eventually reached the entrance of the summit. They looked up and inspected the mountain.

"Wow...that's pretty high up" Serena said.

"Yeah. You sure you still wanna do it?" Ash asked.

Serena looked at him and gave a determined nod. "Yes, I'll do this no matter what!"

Ash smiled and nodded. The two walked forward, their Pokemon following close behind.

They eventually reached a lift that would take them higher up. They got in and Delphox pulled the lever to make it go. After a couple minutes they made it as far as the lift would take them. The exited and faced the entrance of a cave. Serena gulped but then felt Ash grab her hand, making her feel at ease. They group of 5 entered the cave.

It was cold in the cave. Serena was shivering but was suddenly enveloped in a warm embrace and felt a fire near her. She looked to see Delphox holding her close and making a flame on her stick to keep her trainer warm. Delphox smiled warmly at her, causing Serena to smile.