Chapter 34: Honey Blonde Hair

Hello again! I've returned to bring you all the next chapter of this story. At long last I'll finally introduce a character that I've shelved up until now. It wasn't fully by choice, I just couldn't find a way to introduce them into the story until now. So I hope you'll all enjoy the chapter!

It's been a few weeks since the Aether Paradise incident. Ash decided to put his Island Challenge journey on hold for a little bit to relax and enjoy time with his girlfriend and Alolan family, even though said girlfriend was kind of the main reason why. It was now October, but due to Alola being warm year round, this didn't change much. Burnet was in the kitchen making lunch for her family, however her mind seems to still be back in Aether Paradise. The memory still feels fresh in her mind despite it happening a few weeks ago. She just watched and did nothing as Ash was almost stabbed by that lunatic. It was so hard on her, that she's even had a few nightmares about it. Some nights she would also secretly peek into the loft to make sure Ash was still there. She sighed as she finished making the sandwiches.

'What am I doing? He almost got hurt again and I still did nothing.' She placed all the sandwiches on a plate and walked towards the basement door. 'But...it's not like I'm his mother or anything...'

She walked down the steps to the basement and saw her husband staring at the computer. He had his hands supporting his head as he read something on the screen.

"Hey, I brought some lunch for you" she said.

Kukui minimized the window and turned around to face his wife. He smiled as he took a sandwich.

"Thanks honey."

He took a bite as Burnet smiled back. She started to walk away but Kukui called out to her.

"You're conflicted, aren't you."

Burnet turned around in surprise.

"Huh? Conflicted? About what?"

Kukui knew of course. He put on a serious face.

"About Ash."

Burnet continued to look confused.

"Ash? What about him?"

Kukui sighed, a little frustration in it.

"Burnet I get it okay? You feel guilty."

"Guilty?"

Now Kukui was getting frustrated. "About not protecting Ash. I now about your nightmares and sneaking out to check on him."

Burnet was shocked to learn this. She looked away in embarrassment. Kukui didn't falter though.

"I know you Burnet, you wouldn't show this much care for someone for no reason, so why do you for Ash?"

Burnet still didn't look at him. Kukui still pressed on.

"Burnet, if it's for the reason I think it is, are you sure he would be okay with that?"

Burnet still did not respond. Kukui finally lost his patience.

"Burnet! You're not his—"

"Well maybe I want to be!!" She suddenly yelled. She turned around to face him, tears were falling down her face. Kukui was surprised by her outburst. Burnet finally let it all out. "I...I went to a doctor back in August. Y-You know how we've been...trying right?" Kukui nodded. Burnet gripped her chest. "W-Well she told me that I was...infertile..." After saying that word, Burnet broke down completely. Kukui rushed over and comforted her. It broke Kukui's heart too, but he now understood why she cares about Ash so much.

"I'm sorry...I'm sorry..." was all Kukui got out.

Burnet slowly started to calm down. Kukui spoke again.