Time To Seek The Lord Pt.1

✨Please excuse any typos or grammar mistakes✨

February 3rd 1988

Dorinda POV

Nikki: Mommy, I can't find my blue shoes!

Nikki called out to her mother. It was 9:30 a.m., and Nikki was officially late for school. For the past month, she has been missing the school bus almost every other day.

Dorinda: Look under your bed! Your sister can never find anything in that messy room of hers.

Dorinda said to Greg Jr. He smiled and watched his mother put on his shoes.

Nikki: Mommy, I still can't find them.

Nikkia whined,  Dorinda picked up Jr. and turned around to face her oldest child.

Dorinda: Well, find another pair to wear.

Nikki: No, ma, I want to wear those ones; can you help me find them, please?

Dorinda: No, if you kept that room clean like I told you, you'd know where they were at Nikkia.

Dorinda said she was walking out of her bedroom and down the stairs. Nikki stomped her foot, folded her arms and said:

Nikki: Mommy, you better come help me right now!

The moment she said it, Nikki knew she fucked up, but it was too late; Dorinda nearly broke her and Jr.'s necks, running up the stairs after her. They reached Nikkia's bedroom, and the discipline began.

Dorinda: Who are you talking to?

Nikki: I'm sorry mommy!

Dorinda: Have you lost your damn mind, little girl?

Nikki shook her head, and tears formed in her eyes. Dorinda grabbed her arm and pulled her close.

Dorinda: Your mouth has gotten really fresh lately; you better get it together before I get you together, do you hear me?

Nikkia nodded.

Dorinda: You've got all that mouth; use your words!

Nikki: Yes, Mommy I'm sorry for what I said to you.

Dorinda bent down, whipping her daughter's tears. She couldn't help it; seeing Nikki cry was like her kryptonite.

Dorinda: Do you want to go get a doughnut before I drop you off at school?

Nikki's eyes lit up, and she said yes. Dorinda thought she could just drop Nikki off and go about her business, but annoyingly, the teacher wanted to have a conversation with her. Dorinda waited in the front office for about 30 minutes until Mrs. Jackson finally made her way back to speak to her.

Mrs. Jackson: I'm so sorry about that. I was waiting for a sub to relieve me. Let's sit in the conference area.

She led Doe to the conference room, and they sat down.

Dorinda: Is everything alright? This seems serious.

Mrs. Jackson: Here, let's sit.

Dorinda: Come on, pooh, sit with mommy.

Doe puts Jr. on her lap, and he smiles at his big sister's teacher. Greg Jr. loved making funny faces and showing off his adorable two bottom teeth.

Mrs. Jackson: Well, hello there, Jr. Your big sister talks about you all the time, buddy.

Dorinda: Mhm, so what's going on, Mrs. J?

Dorinda was shaking her leg up and down, anxious about what she was going to say.

Mrs. Jackson: Well, as I've told you many times before, Nikkia is a wonderful child.

Dorinda: Thank you.

Mrs. Jackson: She truly is, and she is incredibly bright, excelling both academically and, for the most part, socially.

Dorinda: For the most part?

Mrs. Jackson: Well, Mrs. Cole, it seems that ever since Nikkia came back from Christmas Break, she's been acting out.

Dorinda: What does "acting out" mean?

Mrs. Jackson: She's been picking fights with the other children as well as shouting out during the lesson and getting really upset when I call on other children if she knows the answer to the question.

Dorinda felt so embarrassed. This was all her damn fault.

Mrs. Jackson: Listen, all children go through phases like these; usually it seems to be from stress or anxiety. Is there anything new that's been happening at home?

Dorinda: Um, no, not really.

Dorinda said it nervously.

Mrs. Jackson: Hmm, Mrs.Cole Nikkia mentioned that her father hasn't been in the home a lot recently; she said he was staying at her Nana's. Is everything alright?

This bitch is nosey as fuck! Since when did teachers ask questions like this?

Dorinda: My husband and I are fine!

Dorinda snapped back. She felt the anger rising from within.

Mrs. Jackson: Mrs. Cole, in no way did I mean to offend you; I'm just trying to get a better understanding of where Nikkia's recent behavior is coming from. She was doing so well at the beginning of the year.

Dorinda: Look, like I said, my husband and I are fine! We'll have a conversation with Nikki about her behavior, and I can assure you that it'll improve. The rest of the school year will go off without a hitch.

Mrs. Jackson sighed and gave Dorinda a soft smile.

Mrs. Jackson: Alright, Mrs. Cole, do you have any questions for me?

Dorinda: No. I don't, but thank you for the update, Mrs. Jackson.

Mrs. Jackson: Of course, I'll see you and this little guy out.

Dorinda put Jr. in his car seat, then got into the car herself. She was so emotional right now, with Greg practically moving out and her mother still being sick. Life was one big clusterfuck of a mess.