God Understands All

❤️ Thank you guys for 10,000 reads!!! I can't describe how much that moves and motivates me. Love you all so much, GOD bless, always. ❤️

Please excuse any typos or grammar mistakes

Previously

May 20, 1988

Nobody's  POV

Twinkie: Yeah, Mama, Dorinda should be here any minute.

Mattie: You sure?

Jacky: Yes, ma'am, but let's not worry about her. How are you doing, mama?

Mattie: I'm doing alright; I'll be a lot better once all my girls are here.

Denise: Ma, look, all the boys made you something.

Mattie: That's nice, baby. Are y'all sure she's coming?

Mattie asked, looking at the clock. The sisters all rolled their eyes and reassured her once again that Dorinda was on her way—at least that's what they assumed; no one had spoken to her all morning.

Mattie: Karen?

Karen: Yes, ma'am?

Mattie: How are you and Drew doing?

Karen: We doing good, mama, I-

Denise: No, they ain't; she needs to leave his no-good behind and find a new

Mattie: Denise! Now you know better than to tell your sister something like that. John Drew is a good man, and Karen, last time we talked, you said things were getting better between the two of you.

Karen: I did say that...

Mattie: So what happened?

Karen: Mommy, that was seven months ago.

Mattie: Oh.

A little over ten months ago, the doctors diagnosed Mattie with early-onset Alzheimer's disease. So when the sisters arrived this morning, they were both shocked and excited to see their mother sitting up and ready to fuss, like she never skipped a beat. While the sisters were catching their mother up to speed on what she missed this past year. Dorinda was in the front lobby of the building, trying to work up the courage to go inside and face her family. After about fifteen minutes of pacing and talking to herself, a Nurse whose name tag read "Sharon" approached her.

Dorinda's POV

Nurse Sharon: Hi, Miss, can I help you find someone?

Dorinda: Hi, umm, no, my mother is here; her name is Mattie.

Sharon: Mrs. Clark, is she your mother?

Dorinda: Yes, ma'am, she is.

Sharon: Well, she is a very special lady. I was really happy to hear all her girls were coming to visit. She talks about you all a lot, especially Dorinda; she talks about her the most.

Dorinda: I'm Dorinda.

Sharon: Mhm, nice to meet you, honey.

Sharon gave Dorinda a "mixed" look. As if she were saying, "It's nice to meet you, but I know some things I probably shouldn't know about you.

Sharon: Dorinda, I hope you don't mind me asking, but have you handled your situation?

Dorinda: What situation?

Obviously, Dorinda knew what she was talking about, but she wanted to see if Nurse Sharon was bold enough to mention it out loud.

Sharon: Look, I'm not judging, sweetie. I've been in the same situation as you when I was around your age. I know it's hard. You make one bad decision that changes everything, when all you wanted was fun.

Dorinda: I wasn't looking for fun; I was looking for...