We Acknowledge You

Please excuse any typos or grammar mistakes

May 20, 1988

Nobody's POV

George: The incident upstairs is now in the past. It's time for you all to have a mature conversation, and that's what we are going to do. Do you understand?

Both sisters answered with a simple yes, but their husbands both said nothing.

George: Gentlemen?

Greg: Yeah, dad.

Drew scoffed and gave a harsh "whatever.".

George: Alright, who wants to start?

Karen: All I want to know is why. I mean, how could you all do this to me and to Greg?

The room was dead silent.

Karen: One of you, say something!

Drew: I've got nothing to say.

He said this, staring directly at his former mistress. They locked eyes for a few moments, with Dorinda eventually looking away, but Drew didn't.

Dorinda: I'm sorry...

Greg: Sorry? Your sorry? Are you joking right now, Doe?!!

George: Son, relax.

Greg: Relax, seriously, pop? I don't even want to be here; I shouldn't be here. I do everything for you!

He turned his attention back to his wife as he spoke his truth.

Greg: I've worked hard for you and the kids. For over a decade, I've given you everything you could want, from houses to cars to designer clothes to shoes to purses to jewelry to everything in between. And this is your way of saying thank you? By fucking this bum?!

Drew: Nigga, who's a bum?

Greg: You nigga! You don't remember coming and begging me for a job so you could provide like a real man does, instead of mooching off your mama and daddy, or did your ugly ass forget that?

Drew: I wasn't too ugly for your wife, though; in fact, I was so handsome, she decided to have my baby!

Drew had intended to remain silent while sitting at the table. However, he found himself unable to do so. In his thoughts, Greg was the cause of Dorinda leaving him; Greg was the name given to his son; and Greg was the source of his profound unhappiness. Drew was determined to express his grievances to Greg.

Greg: I guarantee you, that's my son! He's named after me for a reason. Shit, you wish a kid of yours could never look that good.

Drew: Motherfucker, are you disrespecting my kids?

Greg: Now niggas want to pretend like their daddy of the year. I be watching you at family functions. Karen does everything for them, babies, and you sit there eating and watching TV.

Drew: Well, shit, you weren't watching me hard enough, because if you were, you would've noticed me sneaking off to the bathroom with your wife, doing what you couldn't, mister minute man.

While the men exchanged insults, Karen's tears went unnoticed as she anxiously glanced between her husband and sister.

Karen: So it's true? You've really been sleeping with my sister?

Her voice was filled with disappointment and disbelief.