On My Mind Pt.1

After about 10 more chapters, this book will be finished 🥲!

This chapter is a for sure a filler LOL, but I wanted to give you all something 😅!

Please excuse any typos or grammar mistakes

May 20, 1988

Dorinda's POV

Dorinda sat in her car, looking towards the beach, with tears streaming down her face as she contemplated the idea of walking into the water and simply never coming out. Her mind kept saying the same thing: "It'll never be the same, no matter what happens." And as hard as she tried to block that thought, Doe knew it was true. She stepped out of the car and began heading down toward the end of the beach, where there seemed to be fewer people. As she walked, the women's minds began to fill with new thoughts—just not good ones.

Dorinda: Lord, please let it be painless.

Greg's POV

Greg: Yeah, Ma, I'm sorry. I know Dorinda's usually late, but two hours is crazy. Did you call the house?

Janet: Yes, but she didn't pick it up; it went straight to the answering machine.

Greg: Dang, alright, well, can you hold them down for another hour or so? I've got a small meeting, then I can come by and get them.

Janet: Sure, son, that's fine, but try to get in touch with D; I'm sort of worried about her now.

Greg: I'm sure she's fine, Mama; she probably got caught up with her sisters or something and forgot.

Janet: Nah, son, my spirit feels like something is wrong. Go by the house first, then come get the children, okay?

Greg: Alright, I love you. I'll see you soon.

Janet: I love you too, son. Bye now.

Greg hung up the phone and shook his head.

Greg: That woman has no time management.

He chuckled before picking the phone back up and dialing the number to his house. After calling about three times, Greg gave up, went to his meeting, and started his way home to see his wife's car wasn't in the driveway, but a familiar van and car were. He pressed his horn, and seconds later, Denise hopped out of her van while Jacky slid out of the car.

Greg: The hell do these two want now?

The man put his car in the park and walked up to his sister-in-law's. By the looks on their faces, Greg knew he was getting ready to hear whatever newly emerged beef they had with his wife.

Greg: Ladies, it's been a long afternoon. What's going on?

Denise: We need to talk to you, Greg.

Greg: Listen, whatever problem y'all have with Doe, it's with her! I'm a man; I shouldn't be in women's business.

Jacky: And normally, you'd be right!

Greg: But this time, I'm wrong.

Jacky: This time is different; this time it concerns your wife and you more than anything ever has.

Greg: Where is my wife? I've been calling her.

Denise: I don't know; she ran after our visit with Mama.

Greg: Ran?

Denise: Like a runaway slave, chile.

Greg: Why, what happened?

Both sisters looked at him, eyes wide and mouths tuned up, like they couldn't wait to spill their guts.

Greg: Alright

He shook his head and reached into his pocket to grab his house keys.

Greg: Come on, let's talk inside, it's way too hot out here.

Dorinda's POV

Dorinda bent down and took off her sandals, placing them on a near by bench. She pulled up the end of her long sundress, tying a knot, so it wouldn't be in her way when she took to the water.

Dorinda: Jesus, if this isn't right, send me a sign.

As Doe made her way toward the open sea, she took in the scenery around her. The sky was the perfect shade of blue, while the sun was shining ever so brightly in the sky. The sand was hot and sticky, and the air was thick but still slightly cool.

Dorinda: God, please just don't make my babies suffer because of me.

She made her way down to the water and sat down on the shore. Usually, Doe would never do that. This was a $120 dress from one of the nicest boutiques in town. But she just told herself that it was going to be in the middle of the ocean pretty soon, so screw it.

Dorinda: Lord, if I do this, am I definitely going to hell?

She asked herself.

Dorinda: Adultery, making a baby with a man I'm not married to, betraying my own blood, and now... murder.

At least that's what she had been raised to think it was. Dorinda thought back to when she was thirteen and her father's brother (Eric) killed himself after his wife left him after he had an affair with his secretary. She'd overheard a conversation between M'dear (her father's mother) and Aunt Sadie (her father's aunt). Aunt Sadie was delighted with the thought of Eric being in heaven with his grandparents or other relatives. M'dear said, "I love my son, but I love my God more, and as far as I know, taking the life the Lord gave you is murder as well as a sin, and you can't repent when you're dead."

Dorinda: Lord.

Dorinda stood up, shaking her head, trying to physically get that thought out of her mind. As she stood there, taking deep breaths to ease her mind, Doe felt something hard hit the center of her back.

Dorinda: Ouch!

The woman turned around and saw two young girls, no older than ten or eleven, covering their mouths in shock. Dorinda's frown turned into a small smile as she grabbed the ball and made her way over to them.

Dorinda: Here you go, girls.

Girl #1: Thank you; we're so sorry, Miss!

Girl #2: Yeah, we're really sorry. Please don't tell my mom about us.

Dorinda: It's okay, girls; I'm alright; there's no need to get your mama.

Girl #2: Wow, thanks, Miss; I like your dress.

Girl #1: I like your eyes; my friend has eyes like that.

Girl #2: Yo, friend, who?

Girl #1: Kim! Remember when she came to my birthday party last month?

Girl #2: Oh yeah, I remember her. But again, I'm really sorry about that kick, miss.

Girl #1: She plays soccer.

Dorinda: You kicked that high from all the way over here?

Girl #1: Yes, ma'am, we made the state championship last year!

Girl #2: And my cheerleading team made the finals too!

Dorinda: That's amazing, girls.

Woman: Latisha!? Nikki!?

The girls turned their direction toward the voice and waved their hands to signal that they were coming.

Girl #2: We have to go; that's our mom calling us.

Girl #1: Thanks again for being nice and not telling.

Girl. #2: Yes, thanks again, Miss.

The girls started to jog towards their mother, but Doe called out after them.

Doridna: Wait!

Only one girl stopped, while the other kept going.

Girl #1: Yeah?

Dorinda: What's your name?

Girl #1: That's Latisha, and I'm

Woman: Nikki!?

The girl chucked before saying.

Nikki: And I'm Nicole, but I go by Nikki.

Woman: Nicole?!

Nikki: I'm sorry, but I have to go.

Dorinda: Yeah, go ahead, sweetie.

She made her way towards her relatives, but before she got too far, Nikki turned back and yelled:

Nikki: Happy late Mother's Day!

Dorinda: Thank you!

**********

Alright IK this was kinda mid but I'm tryna give yall something 😪🙏🏾?!

Favorite part about this chapter?🧐

Any predictions on how the next chapter will go?🤓

Sending love and light ❤️💕🫶🏾

Lovely-Me93 CoCoUSoCrazy JAGOTYOBACK
IAngelicaMarie myraspencer8 AsiaCrayton