Chapter 2

Song of the chapter: Shut Up and Dance by Walk The Moon

Emily's POV

I quickly showered, blow dried my hair, and then went to the closet and after searching for a bit, I chose jean waist-high shorts and a white t-shirt with the London flag on it that I tucked into the shorts, letting it hang a bit baggy.

I curled my hair and did my makeup with a smokey eye before throwing on a navy blue fedora and matching ankle boots.

I hurried downstairs and just about tripped over Pancakes at the bottom. "Shit!"

She looked up at me, wagging her tail, before she trotted into the living room. I shook my head and went into the kitchen. Austin was hanging up streamers while Lucy sat in her high chair in front of him, playing with her stuffed monkey.

"Everywhere else is decorated," he said. He smiled at me. "Beautiful as ever."

"Wow, that was quick," I commented. "And Thanks."

"Anytime," he taped the pink streamer up and jumped off the ladder. "There. Everything is done." He checked his watch. "It's 2:45."

"Perfect timing," I walked over to Lucy. "Hello, missy, how's my favourite little girl?" I cooed as I picked her up. "Are you ready for your party baby girl?"

She giggled. I planted kisses all over her cheek before grabbing her pacifier and popping it into her mouth. She rested her head on my shoulder.

The doorbell rang. "And there are the first guests."

Austin went into the hallway to get the door while I tried to find candles for the cake. I heard him say, "What up!" so I figured it was Alex, Justin and Taylor. Sure enough, the three walked into the dining room area a minute later.

"Hey Emily!" They said.

"Hey guys," I smiled.

Taylor came over. "Happy birthday, cupcake! Come give Auntie Taylor some love," I handed Lucy to her. "I can't believe you're already one."

"Cupcake?" Alex said to Austin, who looked as confused as Justin did.

"Hey, it's better than Alex Junior," she glared pointedly at her boyfriend. "Besides, I like cupcakes."

"She loves it when I call her Alex Junior!" Alex protested.

"No, she doesn't!"

I glanced at Austin. "I think that's a new record for the amount of time it takes to start a fight."

"Most likely."

The rest of the guests arrived shortly after. Everyone was in the dining room doing who knows what while I was getting Lucy's cake ready.

Quinn walked into the kitchen while I was sticking the '1' candle in. "Need some help?"

Quinn was my best girl friend, besides Taylor. Austin and I had met her almost two years back when I was pregnant with Lucy. Quinn was eighteen, turning nineteen, two years younger than Austin and I, and she had a daughter, Sheridan, whom she had at fifteen. Being a teen mom was what brought us together. She still helped me with a lot of things, even though she was young herself. Her older brother Jace and her younger sister Leah, along with their parents, also helped out as much as they could, which was amazing.