Chapter 49

Song of the chapter: Everybody by The Backstreet Boys

Emily's POV

"Thanks for watching Lucy again," I said to my parents when Austin and I picked her up from their house. Austin came because we were heading to the studio again to rehearse for the tour.

"No problem, honey, we love watching her," my mom said.

Austin took Lucy from my dad's arms. "I hope you were good for grandma and grandpa," Austin told her.

She nodded and sleepily cuddled into Austin's shoulder. "Yeah, she had quite the morning," my dad said. "Don't be surprised if she's out cold by the time you get in the car."

"Too late." I pointed to Lucy, who was already sleeping.

My mom smiled. "She's such a little angel. I'm expecting another kid soon from the two of you."

"Mom!" I exclaimed.

"Sorry, honey, but you know I love babies."

"Penny, don't pester them," my dad sighed. "There's plenty of time-" he stopped mid sentence when my mom elbowed him.

"Plenty of time for what?" Austin asked.

"For you guys to have another kid in the future," my mom cut in. "You know, when you're older. And it's planned."

"Okay, we're going to go now before this talk gets even more awkward. Austin, let's go." I gave my parents one last look before heading down the sidewalk to the car. "Thanks again!"

"Anytime!" My parents went inside before they barely finished talking.

I sat in the vehicle while Austin put Lucy in her carseat. It was alot harder to do it when she was asleep so he took longer. When he finally got in and drove off, I spoke.

"That's it."

He glanced at me. "What?"

"Something's up with my parents and I'm going to find out what."

Austin sighed. "Emily, I'm sure you're overreacting."

"How am I overreacting?" I exclaimed.

"Jeez, could you scream any louder? You'll wake the kid up!"

"How am I overreacting?" I repeated.

"Because your parents didn't do anything. Maybe they've just got alot on their plates right now," he replied.

I shook my head. "No."

"Well, whatever, do what you want."

We stayed quiet for the rest of the drive. Austin dropped me and Lucy off at the house before he went to rehearse. I had originally planned to go with him, but I couldn't with Lucy asleep. It was better if I stayed home with her.

While she slept in her room, I went to the basement. There were four rooms in the basement, including the main part. I went to my office and straight to the closet where I kept boxes of photo albums.

"Alright, let's see what I can find," I said as I grabbed the first box. I rifled through album after album, seeing pictures I had seen many times before.

After an hour, I gave up. "Maybe Austin was right, maybe I am overreacting." Lucy started crying. "And my mother duties are calling."

Pancakes met me at the top of the stairs and followed me to Lucy's room. "Hey, sweetie." I picked up her sniffling form and sat on the rocking chair in the corner of her room. "That wasn't a very long nap. Pancakes, go get me Binky."