Chapter 85

Song of the chapter: When You Look Me In The Eyes by Jonas Brothers

Emily's POV

"She should pin this to her dress. It would look so cute."

"Quinn, she's going to rip it off eventually and end up stabbing herself, so no."

The two of us, plus Leah and Taylor, were all sitting around my dining room table going over final wedding preparations. It was the evening before the big day, and Lucy was upstairs in bed already. Austin was out with the guys and was supposed to be back soon.

She sighed. "Fine. But we should add something to Lucy's dress. Just to spice it up a little bit."

"Just throw some glitter on her and boom, you've got spice," Taylor commented.

"No one is touching my baby's dress, alright? It's perfect the way it is," I said, putting my hands up as if daring anyone to say anything else. None of them did. "So, everyone is ready for tomorrow then?"

"Us? You're the bride," Leah spoke up. "We should be asking you that question."

"I've never been more ready for anything in my life," I said, before pausing. "Well, besides having Lucy. Because I was so ready to get her out of me by the end."

"Preach," Quinn agreed. I grinned and squeezed her hand.

"Wow, I still can't believe you're going to be Austin's wife in approximately," Taylor looked at her watch. "eighteen hours."

"I know," I said excitedly. "Although I'm ready, I'm nervous."

"You can kiss your last name goodbye," Leah said. "Or are you keeping it? For professional reasons and such."

"No, I'm taking Austin's last name," I replied.

"You could hyphenate your name," Quinn suggested.

I shook my head. "Nah, I want to take Mahone. Besides, Emily Mahone has a nice ring to it. It sounds better than Emily Smith does, actually."

"Speaking of Mahone," Taylor said as she heard a car door slam outside.

A few minutes later, Austin walked into the dining room. "What's up ladies?" He asked as he shrugged out of his coat.

"Going over wedding preparations," Leah said.

"What? Emily, I could be helping you," he replied, looking at me.

I waved him off. "Oh no, it's nothing major, I promise. Besides, it's nothing you can do. It's fine."

He shrugged. "Alright, well, I'm going to say goodnight to Lucy."

"She's already asleep!" I called after him as he went up the staircase.

"Don't care!" he called back.

My three friends stood up and grabbed their coats. "We should head home and get some rest, as should you. It's a big freaking day tomorrow," Quinn said, grinning like an idiot at me.

I nodded and stood up as well to see them out. "Agreed. I'll try my best."

"We'll be here bright and early!" Leah quipped on their way out the door. "So be ready for us!"

"Yeah, yeah, I will," I smiled. "Have a good night, girls."

"See you!" they said and I closed the door behind them.

As I was gathering up the stuff, Austin came hopping back down the stairs. "She was totally awake."

"What? I put her to bed an hour ago," I replied.

He shrugged. "She was sitting in her bed fiddling with her bunny."

"Well, is she asleep now? The last thing she needs is to be grouchy for tomorrow. The last thing we need."

Austin grinned and came over to rub my shoulders. "Relax, Ems, she's dozing off as we speak."

I sighed and turned in his arms. "So? How are you feeling?"

"Well, I've got a few drinks in me, so fabulous!"

I smacked his arm as he snickered. "I'm serious," I said.

He grinned. "I know, I know." He pulled me in for a hug. "I feel ready. What about you?"

"I'm ready, too, but I'm nervous."

"Don't be, it's not a huge wedding," Austin replied. "Besides, you know everyone coming, and the actual ceremony is like, ten minutes long. It'll be over quick."

"Yes, I know." I leaned up to give him a quick kiss. "But I'm heading to bed. You should, too."

"Oh, I'm always right behind you when you mention the words bed or bedroom," he said seductively, which made me hit him again, except I bolted up the stairs like a giggling teenager as he chased me to our bedroom.

After we were changed and in bed, I spoke up in the dark. "Our last night being unmarried." I felt his hand grab mine under the covers.

"Feels odd. Almost like this should be sentimental." Austin paused. "Maybe I should write a song about it."

I burst out laughing, but put my hand over my mouth to smother it when I remembered Lucy was sleeping in the other room. I heard Austin lightly laughing with me.

"Okay, seriously, we really need to get some sleep now," I told him when I calmed down.

"Goodnight, Ems," he said as I heard him shift so his bare back was to me. I could feel the warmth radiating off of his tan skin. He wrapped his arms in front of me as he played behind me. We connected our hands together.

"Goodnight," I replied, smiling to myself