Chapter 66

Song of the chapter: Heartbeat by Carrie Underwood

Emily's POV

I was trying to make myself a smoothie while I entertained Lucy with my foot. Yes, my foot; I would move it around occasionally and she would try and grab it. Kind of like a cat with a laser. I don't know why she found it fun, but she was always entertained when I did it.

"Emily!" I heard Austin yell from the basement.

"What?" I yelled back.

"I turned your white shirt pink by accident."

"Austin!" I screeched. "The one with the jewels around the neckline?"

"Uh...yeah...yeah, that's the one."

"How did you turn it pink?"

"There was a red sock in the white load!"

"Austin, how long have you been doing laundry? It's not rocket science!"

"I'll buy you a new one," he called. "Sorry, babe!"

I grumbled and turned the blender on. He came up a few minutes later with a basket of white laundry. And my now pink shirt was sitting on top.

I grabbed it from the top with my good arm. "I'm mad at you now."

"Aww, come on, it was an accident," he pouted. He set the laundry basket down on the dining room table and came over to me. He wrapped his arms around my waist from behind. "How can I ever make you forgive me, my lady?" He started kissing my neck.

"Oh, go fold laundry," I grinned, ducking out of his reach.

He smiled and bent to scoop up Lucy from the ground. "Hey, pretty lady. Come help daddy with the clothes."

"So what time are we leaving for dinner tonight?" I asked my boyfriend.

"Our reservations are for eight," he replied. He handed a shirt to Lucy to "fold", but she just threw it on the table. "Right on, Luce."

"My mom said it was okay that she watches Lucy for us," I told him. "So that gives us a couple of hours before she gets here." My mom and I had been getting along better, ever since Jesse and I somewhat forgave her for keeping it a secret so long that we were siblings. Jesse was still a little bit hesitant, and I didn't blame him. But still, even though she was a mother to both of us, she had raised me for eighteen years; I couldn't stay mad at her.

"Sweet," Austin said.

While he finished folding laundry with Lucy, I went upstairs to use the washroom and then clean our room. My clothes were strung all over the place. Just as I was picking up a shirt from the ground, I heard Austin shout and then let out a string of expletives.

"Austin?" I called worriedly, hurrying out the door. "What's wrong?"

I ran into the kitchen to find Austin leaning against the counter, clutching his wrist. Lucy was standing by the stool, clutching it and looking up at him.

I went over to him. "What the heck happened to you?"

"Lucy threw a shirt on the ground, and I slipped on it and landed on my wrist," he said. He was clenching his teeth.

"Jesus, Austin," I said. "Here, let me see it."

He slowly let go of it and since one of my arms was in a sling, he helped me hold it steady. I peered closely at it. "It doesn't look swollen."

"Yet," he said. "I don't think it's broken though; it's probably just sprained."

"I'll get you some ice," I said, opening the freezer door. I handed an ice pack wrapped in a towel to him. "Here. Keep it on there for a while to prevent most of the swelling."

"Thanks, Ems," he said. He leaned over and planted a kiss on my forehead. "What would I do without you?"

"Crash and burn," I teased.

"Yeah, probably," he smiled back.

"Okay, Luce, looks like you have two gimps for parents. So you're walking for a while," I told her.

"Okay!" She said happily. "I like walking!"

"Good, because that's what you're going to be doing," Austin said.

"Maybe we should take you to the hospital," I suggested. "I mean, it doesn't look bad, but you never know."

"Nah, I'm tough. It doesn't hurt enough to be a break," he said.

"But you made me go to the hospital with my ankle!"

"That's because that was a break, Ems," he said. "I'm seriously okay."

We glared at each other for a moment before I cracked. "Ugh, fine. But I'll be keeping an eye on that."

"Deal."

***********

So this story is almost over...sadly 😭😔